First Impressions of my New Rhino Popup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Impressions of my New Rhino Popup

My new Rhino popup showed up Saturday, but due to some plumbing issues I didn't get a chance to set it until Monday afternoon. The bag contained the popup, stakes, string, 2 extra support rods, and a set of instructions. Following the instructions, the setup went off without a hitch which was reassuring since I had heard a few negative rumblings about rods breaking during set up. The fabric seems like it's pretty tough and it should weather well. Also, I haven't noticed any sheen or shine on the material.

The interior seems to be quite roomy and fairly dark, however the window flaps for the vertical corner windows and the large horizontal window are only secured by some hooks and elastic loops which doesn't give a very snug fit allowing some light inside. This is most noticeable on the corners, which ironically enough do not have the shoot the mesh. Not sure yet if this is an issue for me or not because I had been shooting mechanical BH's, but have recently considered making the switch back to a fixed cut on contact type head that will allow me to take advantage of the mesh. Although the amount of light from these windows is fairly minimal to begin with, it can be further reduced by tucking some of the flaps between the support rods and the wall of the popup. The only way I have found to secure the flaps for the smaller horizontal windows is to tuck them in behind the support rods otherwise they hang freely which allows a ton of light in not to mention all the movement created if the wind picks up.

Take down was pretty straight forward and easy, again following the instructions verbatim. The popup fit easily back into the bag. My main issue arose when I attempted to set up the blind for the second time so that I could spray it down with scent killer. With instructions in hand, I proceeded to set it up and the dang thing just didn't want to cooperate. It felt like the fabric was fighting me no matter which rods I grabbed and attempted to set. Finally grabbed a spot that seemed like it wanted to give and began applying pressure. Snap! The tip on the cast metal rod end that held it in the hub broke off. Rod #1 down. Good thing they supplied a couple spares, huh? Luckily replacement was simple and after a few minutes I was back to wrestling with the thing trying to set it up when I heard Snap! Rod #2 down. After rod 2 was replaced, the blind went up without another problem. I guess I wasn't holding my mouth right before. The good news is that their customer service is top notch. They assured me they would get me 4 new rods shipped off today.

My first impression is that it's a pretty good blind with a few minor issues that can be tolerated. I definitely like it better than most of the blinds I have seen available at retail stores. For the moment, I am not going to put the rod issues on the blind. With such a huge difference in difficulty between the first setup and the second attempt I am afraid I may have put something in a bind when I took the blind down. Time will tell I suppose.
    Attached Files

Best blind out there
    Got 3 of ghdm

Comment

Them

Comment

Working...
      X