Anybody use the Vortex Rangefinder??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
    Mike, even the Leica won't pick up an animal at 800+ yards. They're just too small for a 6-7x range finder.
    If you're leu rx1000 won't range trees and large objects at up to 1000 yards, send it back. It should.
    Cuz I can only go by what I've read on the long range forums. They say that the Leica can consistently pick up animals at over 1500 yards and rocks, trees, etc. at 1600+.

I am packing up my Leupold as we speak to send back but for a different reason. The best I've been able to range with mine is 874 yards on a feeder. And I only got it to do it once so I can't even say if that was accurate. I'm not unhappy with my Leupold at all, just looking to make an upgrade.

I would love to have one of the G-seven rangefinders but $1600 for a rangefinder is a bit tough to swallow.

Comment

Yea I wanted one too but ranging wasn't THAT important!

I've never used the Leica 1600... I did though actually use the rx1000, Leica 1000 and the Vortex at the same time out in west texas. The Leica was SLIGHTLY better at ranging long (800+) ranges, mostly because it is 7x, not 6x, but it also had just a little clearer glass than the Leu. The vortex wasn't in the same league as either the other two. I chose the Leu because its IMO not $200 less of a RF than the Leica but twice the RF as the vortex.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
        Look bro, everyone is gonna try and steer you to their brand. Mike D likes the finer things in guns and optics. That's great if you can afford it. If you need to range things out to 1000 meters, the Leica is the better rangefinder. Is it for bowhunting? His point on the warranty is wishful thinking. Every company puts out lemons and **** happens in the field, it's called "hunting". You think Leica will replace your unit if you get caught in a thunderstorm and get it wet? What about if you drop it from a tree stand and shatter the glass? If you have the money to replace a Leica if it breaks, go with that one. If you can only buy one and can't afford another one if it breaks, get the Vortex. Great performance and no one can touch that warranty.
        I understand. I'm a Bowhunter so I really don't need a rangefinder that ranges 1000 yards. I can afford the Leica just don't know if I would benefit spending the money for a long range rangefinder. When I could get along fine with a cheaper brand. I know we get what we pay for! Thanks guy for the opinions. Did mean to start a debate!

Comment

DIDNT mean to start a debate!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            I didn't necessarily say you should buy the Leica. It is in a different league. The majority of the 1000 yard rangefinders will pick up an animal to about 500 yards. The Leica will pick them up to the range that they are advertised.

I have the same rangefinder that Cuz has but I have never gotten it to pick up anything over 850 yards certainly not an animal. If anything I can't hold it that still. About the furthest I have ever ranged an animal has been 470'ish yards.

If you don't need anything beyond bow ranges, I would look at the Redfield raider 600A and save your money.
            I'll look into the redfeild raider. Haven't even give them a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter01 View Post
              I understand. I'm a Bowhunter so I really don't need a rangefinder that ranges 1000 yards. I can afford the Leica just don't know if I would benefit spending the money for a long range rangefinder. When I could get along fine with a cheaper brand. I know we get what we pay for! Thanks guy for the opinions. Did mean to start a debate!
              Sorry, I missed that in your OP. In that case the $79 Halo brand one at Academy will work.
              Last edited by Cuz; 01-26-2014, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Probably so. I'm using the nikon archers choice now and was looking to up grade. The archers choice has had some issues from time to time.

Comment

Look bro, everyone is gonna try and steer you to their brand. Mike D likes the finer things in guns and optics. That's great if you can afford it. If you need to range things out to 1000 meters, the Leica is the better rangefinder. Is it for bowhunting? His point on the warranty is wishful thinking. Every company puts out lemons and **** happens in the field, it's called "hunting". You think Leica will replace your unit if you get caught in a thunderstorm and get it wet? What about if you drop it from a tree stand and shatter the glass? If you have the money to replace a Leica if it breaks, go with that one. If you can only buy one and can't afford another one if it breaks, get the Vortex. Great performance and no one can touch that warranty.
                  Yea actually, they will. Their range finders are waterPROOF to 3 feet. Jus sayin...

For the record, I wasn't trying to steer the OP to "my brand". It's actually the only Leupold product I own. He asked for advice from people that have used the vortex. I have, so I offered my opinions.
                  Last edited by Cuz; 01-26-2014, 11:00 PM.

Comment

I appreciate it. I'm probably gonna give the vortex rangefinder a try. I've got two pair of there viper binos and love'em. With there warranty I feel if there's a problem they will stand behind there product.

Comment

Yea actually, they will. Their range finders are waterPROOF to 3 feet. Jus sayin...

For the record, I wasn't trying to steer the OP to "my brand". It's actually the only Leupold product I own. He asked for advice from people that have used the vortex. I have, so I offered my opinions.
                      I know you weren't

Comment

I know you weren't
                        Lol. Ten foe!

Comment

Get the Leu RX1000i. It's much better than the vortex, IMO as good as the Leica (except the 1x power), and cheaper than the Leica. Mine ranges rocks and trees very fast up to and even over 1000 yards.
                          Also reads different color animals the same. Others are different on darker targets vs lighter color targets.

Comment

Working...
                          X