Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Broadhead tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadhead tuning

How likely is it that my broadheads with fly the same as my field points without any extra adjustments? Do either 3 blades or 4 blades tend to fly better than the other? What is a good target to use for broadheads? A commercial target or something homemade? Thanks

Depends on how well your bow is tuned and what bh's you are wanting to shoot and if your setup likes them. I have seen the same head fly great out of one bow and like crap out of others. I like any Rinehart targets personally.

Comment

More important than them flying with field points is that they group and are flying straight. And a Rhinehart.

Comment

So it might just mean re sighting with BH as long as they are grouping well? Also, the Rhineharts are pretty expensive. Is there a place online or something where I can find deal on one?

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
          So it might just mean re sighting with BH as long as they are grouping well? Also, the Rhineharts are pretty expensive. Is there a place online or something where I can find deal on one?

Rhineharts are cheap. In the long run. Don't order it. You may get nailed on shipping. Check first.

Comment

Cabelas has a special on the Rinehart woodland buck blem for 150 with an extra insert

Comment

You'll go through a few cheaper targets before you will a Rhinehart target!

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
                How likely is it that my broadheads with fly the same as my field points without any extra adjustments? Do either 3 blades or 4 blades tend to fly better than the other? What is a good target to use for broadheads? A commercial target or something homemade? Thanks
                Probably not going to happen without any extra adjustments. Group tune and broadhead tune is the best way to get consistent arrow flight (fine tuning). Tune the bow first, I use the walk back method and the french tuning method; then tune the arrow...
                Walk Back Tuning Tutorial

And yes, your field points and broadheads should hit the same spot; if not, you are not tuned properly.

Type of head doesn't matter (three blade, four blade etc), tuning is needed on all of them (or at least they need to be checked); some just require less tuning than others.

Read the Easton Tuning Guide...
                Easton Tuning Guide

The best broadhead target is a sand pit, easy to build, will last a couple of decades and will stop any broadhead. I like the block (Field Logic) for a portable broadhead target.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post

And yes, your field points and broadheads should hit the same spot; if not, you are not tuned properly.

Not True.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                    Not True.
                    Yes True.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                      Yes True.
                      Nope.

Comment

I'm 100% with rat.

They won't unless your lucky and just happened into good tuning and rarely is poor POI a brand issue. You might see tighter groups with ST over a muzzy or vice a versa but it's not like they're going to be way out of whack.

Do yourself a favor and tune the bow using the info Rat posted. You'll get tight groups with fixed, great penetration and you'll be able to focus on shooting form instead of trying to figure out why your bow is inches off as you shoot from longer distance.

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                          I'm 100% with rat.

They won't unless your lucky and just happened into good tuning and rarely is poor POI a brand issue. You might see tighter groups with ST over a muzzy or vice a versa but it's not like they're going to be way out of whack.

Do yourself a favor and tune the bow using the info Rat posted. You'll get tight groups with fixed, great penetration and you'll be able to focus on shooting form instead of trying to figure out why your bow is inches off as you shoot from longer distance.
                          The links he posted are great tools and should be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                            The links he posted are great tools and should be used.
                            x2

Comment

here is a question for who ever thinks they can answer it.

My bow shoots broadheads good out to 30-35 yards.
                              But put me out at 40+ and those baby's fly everywhere!
                              If I move my rest at 40+ yards they wont hit straight at 20-30 yards, BUT will at long distances.
                              What's my next option to do???
                              Don't care to hijack thread but this could come in useful for him too

Comment

Working...
                              X