X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread !! I sure learned alot !!

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
      so get longer arrows and change static spine? then put on broadheads and change dynamic spine even further?

sorry bud, don't agree with that logic. what good does having a good center shot do if your arrow does not fly properly causing you to lose penetration on impact.

OP, don't band-aid your problem. fix your problem and fix it right. cut your arrows where they need to be and get your bow set up PROPERLY.
      Adding 1/2" to the length of the arrow isn't going to change the tune of the arrow enough to make a difference; it will help the broadhead clear.

IF, and it's a big if, it does change the spine enough then you need to get a stifffer spine arrow; I seriously doubt a 1/2" is going to make any spine difference. I will run it through TAP if you supply me the information though. just to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by clayg08 View Post
        paging Mudslinger...............
        Smart Fella

Comment

If you are on the edge of being underspined and still the bow is tuned changing any little thing can alter your tune. Check to see if your rest is high enough and the check each arrow to see if the BH will clear and if not rotate the nock to see if you can get the proper clearance. Good luck.

Comment

The original ramcats I had came with a black rubber ring above the threads. My arrows were short and broadhead contact was an issue. I could turn them enough with that rubber washer to clear. Other companies used to make those washers just to turn broad heads. Now I can't find them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              If you are on the edge of being underspined and still the bow is tuned changing any little thing can alter your tune. Check to see if your rest is high enough and the check each arrow to see if the BH will clear and if not rotate the nock to see if you can get the proper clearance. Good luck.
              Everything is in tune and shooting really well. That's the reason I've been so hesitant to make any changes.

Originally posted by docmay View Post
              The original ramcats I had came with a black rubber ring above the threads. My arrows were short and broadhead contact was an issue. I could turn them enough with that rubber washer to clear. Other companies used to make those washers just to turn broad heads. Now I can't find them.
              This is exactly what I must do. Ensure that each BH is clocked in the proper manner to prevent shelf or riser contact. Pay attention to the smallest of details....part of what I like about bow hunting, if you don't sweat the small stuff it will pop up and the worsts time.

I was just looking for an easy and sure fix to ensure that this issue didn't pop up again.

This time was no big loss other than a large hog in which I had stalked right at dark across an open pasture running off. Had it been a target buck Id really be upset.

Thanks to all for the good tips.

Comment

You can find o rings at any hardware store that will work. I do this with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                  I have an issue where due to arrow length my Broad head is over the riser shelf at full draw. The broad head that I'm shooting is a 125 grain 1.5" Ramcat and will just barely clear the shelf.

I had an issue where one of my Broad heads wasn't clocked just right and contacted the shelf while coming to full draw. This resulted in the arrow being pulled off the string with a little noise and a large hog running off.

My question is, what would be the affect or downside of raising my rest say 1/16"? I realize it will require a vertical sight adjustment but is there any other performance concerns?

Rookie!

Comment

I had the exact same when I switched to the ramcat this fall. I was able to turn the heads just enough to get them to not make contact but it was close. I didn't realize just how big the heads were until that happened.

Comment

Call me old fashioned but my broadheads are an inch in front of the riser. No worries of broadhead contacting my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoHunter View Post
                        Call me old fashioned but my broadheads are an inch in front of the riser. No worries of broadhead contacting my hand.

Nothing wrong with that!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                          Rookie!
                          YUP!

Talk about freaking Amateur Hour!!!

Made a great stalk across open ground right at dark only to have it foiled by a careless oversight on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                            YUP!

Talk about freaking Amateur Hour!!!

Made a great stalk across open ground right at dark only to have it foiled by a careless oversight on my part.

I'm sorry but, bwahahahaha!

When I was in my early twenties I snuck up on doe. No **** quiver!

Comment

Well the good news is I solved and worked out a temp fix to my problem. It never was the huge diameter of the 125 grain Ramcat. Turns out the pin had slipped out of the adjustment module of my lower cam allowing me to over draw for my arrow length. The module has been reset to it's proper position and I installed a roll pin until the correct pin can be bought.

Still feels like amateur hour but live and learn. I'm at it this weekend looking for a doe a unicorn (1 horned spike) or a hog.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Good deal bud. Glad you're fixed up!

Comment

Working...
                                X