Endless loop string 2 color help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Endless loop string 2 color help

I've made about 6 strings now, not a lot, but all of them I run into the same problem. They've been great performers, but they aren't as aesthetic as I would like.

When I do my end serving, it twists the strands under the serving and to the sides. Once I close the loop, there's still a few inches generally of twisted together showing. When I put the final twists in the string, the middle is uniform and pretty, but it looks really tightly wound and ugly toward the end loops.

If I reduce the tension on the end serving, it gets some separation on the bow, so I don't think it's a tension issue. It has to be snug. Are there any tricks to keep the colors nicely separated?

Bump... Korbin?

Comment

I keep the different color strands separated with a heavy duty safety pin. i keep it towards the middle and when the end loops are served i then slide the pin back and forth down the string to separate the colors again. then i do the end servings while under LOTS of tension on the string.

Comment

I think I'll have to build an all steel jig. Mine is wood on unistrut, and a ton of tension ends up bending the screws I use for pegs, and bends the wood too. I usually stick a pen between colors, but tension on the string itself probably is key

Comment

Post a pic.

Comment

I built mine out of stuff from Home Depot i use the deep track side but welded the shallow track to the back of the deep track to stiffen. screw down to your workbench.
            the eyebolts i cut into "J" hooks (stainless seems to last better) I found some L-brackets (back in the gate hardware area) and then welded 1/4 round stock to support the L so that it could not bend over when i tension.
            I used these nuts (with out the springs attached to hold the brackets in the channel)
            total cost was around $30 and will hold 400lbs tension no problem
            Attached Files

Comment

This is what I mean. Nice and even in the middle from twisting the string after closing both end loops. Uneven and too tight near the end serving. It looks like that after doing end serving before closing the loop
              Attached Files

Comment

I usually apply my end serving then stretch the string to 300lbs. I separate my colors using a fender washer twist then stretch again to 300lbs. I then burnish the string and then close all my loops and serve away.

Comment

These are the strings on my sons bow. I did his strings about a year ago.

Comment

I separate the colors with a smooth plastic string seperater used for moving peep sights. I take all the mixed up twists and "push" them to the bottom of the string, which usually has the most serving. The peep took keeps the messed up portion in place while I serve the top of the string. Then I serve the bottom of the string and cover the messed up portion.

Comment

Ryan,

It looks like your twisting the string as your putting the end servings on. I use tension when doing the serving but not a lot. and as i serve i stop at times and allow the string to back rotate, so that i'm not adding twists under the serving.
                      Basically when i set my jig it's to the end length that i want my cable or string to be. once the ends are tied (string ends) i then put in the amount of twist rate i want for what ever the length is. (57" string x1.5 = 38 twists). then i tension the string back to the length desired. this is when i run the safety pin threw the string from end to end several times to re-separate the colors. then i burnish the string with a piece of leather. then i start my end servings and close the loops. (using the method typed above)

again, to me it looks like your inducing string twist under the servings as you serve due to having the tension on the spool too tight.

this will cause some bad peep frustrations as these twists even themselves out during use

some people use high tension on their spool but you also need very high tension on the string to keep it from twisting

also watch which way you put the serving on, it needs to be in the same direction of twist for both ends. for me one side is over-under the other side is under-over

hope i'm helping
                      Last edited by wassaw; 11-12-2013, 10:44 AM.

Comment

You twist the string before doing end serving? It is twisting under the serving as I go, but I feel like when I had less tension on the spool, I had serving separation

Comment

Originally posted by PSD Ryan View Post
                          You twist the string before doing end serving? It is twisting under the serving as I go, but I feel like when I had less tension on the spool, I had serving separation
                          when i am using the string material as the loop serving. most of the ones i make for my bows i have 4 string ends when on the jig (2 ends of brown, 2 ends of yellow for a brown/yellow 2 color string) i take one and back serve half of the loop starting from behind the J-hook (about 3/4" and finish it, then 3/4" on the other side) one side will be "yellow" the other end of the string will be "brown". I start my serving from the center (away from the end at the needed distance) and serve towards the hooks, and when i get to were i want the End loop i start pulling each wrap tight to cinch the two sides into the size loop i need, then come back towards center (over wrap) about 3/16" to finish

I know what your saying about serving separation, and you will find the tension that works for you. I know that as i am serving i stop often (between 15-20 wraps) and let the string rotate back, then move on.

try more tension on the string before you start your serving, 200-300lbs. I bought a digital scale that goes to 400lbs that i have in line when i start serving.

you use serving thread to cover your ends (and i do also at times, depending on the bow)

Pictures from the internet not mine

Click image for larger version

Name:	phone_pics_834_large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	24263977

this is how i do most of mine, using the string material as the serving which ties off the ends in the process

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	24263978

i cut off the excess and then start twisting the string.

Comment

Serve with the string at 300 lbs of tension.

Comment

Definitely gonna build an all steel jig. Got a machine shop that can lathe me some nice pegs. My jig will bend with about 50 lbs of tension.

Comment

Working...
                              X