100% new hunter please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% new hunter please help

I know the wealth of knowledge on this site is vast. I was hoping some vets could give me some tips. mainly with scent control. I was hoping for a start to finish quality regiment for scent control. with all the bits and pieces on here I am confused on how to tie it all together. I am also hunting public land, a trial by fire I know but that's all I have to work with this year. so any other getting started tips would be appreciated,

Wind is your best scent control, having it in your face.
    There are a lot of products on the shelf you can buy, some people use smoke from a fire, vanilla extract as scent covers.

You should also keep your cloths contained in a scent free bag to help with everyday odors they can absorb. Welcome to the green screen

Comment

^^^ what he said. And I spray my clothes down with a scent elimination product like ddw, scent killer etc and hang em in trees or something and let them air dry and then put them in a tote box. I have seen some ppl use baking soda on their clothes when they store em to keep them dry from sweat or moisture.

Comment

Welcome!

Your most important scent control is the wind. Play the wind right and it won't matter if you're smoking cigarettes and drinkin whiskey. However, I wouldn't advise that! I'd start out by washing all your hunting clothes/hats/beanies/gloves, everything that you might wear into the woods, with scent free detergent. Also have a certain towel that you use also and make sure to wash it with your hunting clothing, not with the other towels and laundry. After they have been dried (without fruitful dryer sheets), put them in a container/bag of some sort to keep any smells around the house from reaching them. During the season, try to keep at it with the scent free soaps and shampoos. If you think you're going to need gas to get to your hunting destination, fill up the night before, not in the morning on your way into the woods. That smell will linger for hours. I would also keep your hunting clothes contained until you reach your hunting area. Once you've gotten there, and parked, THEN pull your clothes out and change into them. As soon as you're done with the hunt, change again before getting back into the truck. Try not to touch everything you walk by in the woods with your hands. Rubber boots are great scent control footwear. Try not to eat anything with strong smells when you have your hunting clothing on (like breaking for lunch at whataburger and then going back to the stand).

Play the wind!! This is your best bet and the only sure way to beat their nose.

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by Sleepy; 11-06-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Definitely start by washing your cloths in non scented detergent. Be sure to shower with some type of unscented soap. There are both scent free detergents and soaps that are sold just for hunters, but I have found any scent free cloths detergent works fine. I have used the liquid hunters soaps a lot and they work fine. I have also just used unscented bar soaps like Ivory and It works ok too. If you can keep from putting on all of your cold weather gear until you get to the stand, it helps with keeping the sweating down. I also spray my outer garments and gear with some type of scent control spray, Dead Down Wind, Scent-a-way, etc. And definitely hunt with the wind in your face. If you can get up by using a tree stand, tripod etc., I like to get up off of the ground. Good Luck!

Comment

What they all said. Great info on here. Welcome to the green screen.

Comment

thanks for the info. definitely seems like step 1 pregame all items to be used or go out into the field washed in scent free and sealed and used day of. step 2 change into all scent free items in the field and spray down. it seems like there should be a step 3,4,5, keep them coming. step 3 what to use/ or do on the way to hunting position such as what actions to take and what to use on the way there i.e. scent drags and other such items? Step 4 what to do once in hunting location? and step 5 what to do post hunt, on the way out and when at vehicle when leaving
              Last edited by artillery; 11-06-2013, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by artillery View Post
                thanks for the info. definitely seems like step 1 pregame all items to be used or go out into the field washed in scent free and sealed and used day of. step 2 change into all scent free items in the field and spray down. it seems like there should be a step 3,4,5, keep them coming. step 3 what use/ or do on the way to hunting position such as what actions to take and what to use on the way there i.e. scent drags and other such items? Step 4 what to do once in hunting location? and step 5 what to do post hunt, on the way out and when at vehicle when leaving
                Once you've completed your "step 2", that pretty much has you covered as long as you are playing the wind. I keep a powder on me to puff for checking wind direction on the way to the stand and while in the stand. You can do a scent drag if you like, but thats mostly gimmick and a waste of money. It MIGHT get their attention every once in a while.

Don't walk directly on the game trails on your way in/out, even though it is very tempting since it seems they have paved a nice pretty path for you to walk on. STAY OFF

Once on stand, stay still and quiet and let nature do its thing. Just watch and observe. Not anything you can control once you're there.

Comment

Originally posted by artillery View Post
                  thanks for the info. definitely seems like step 1 pregame all items to be used or go out into the field washed in scent free and sealed and used day of. step 2 change into all scent free items in the field and spray down. it seems like there should be a step 3,4,5, keep them coming. step 3 what use/ or do on the way to hunting position such as what actions to take and what to use on the way there i.e. scent drags and other such items? Step 4 what to do once in hunting location? and step 5 what to do post hunt, on the way out and when at vehicle when leaving
                  For your step 3 just try to avoid touching vegetation while walking to your stand and slip in as quiet as you can. For your step 4...unless you work up a sweat getting to the stand you should be good. I carry a bottle of scentaway in my pack and will spray myself again in the stand if I am sweating. Step 5 when leaving the stand repeat step 3. I like to pack my clothes back up when I reach my truck before I leave.

Comment

Like others have said, playing the wind is the number one key in scent control. Even if you take all the precautions of being scent free you will still get busted sometimes if you don't use the wind direction to your advantage. Since you will be on public land I am guessing you will be carrying your stand in for each hunt. Check the forecast for the wind direction before each hunt and setup downwind of where you expect to see the most activity. Good luck!

Comment

Rainy days can be your friend also! When the ground becomes wet all those little sticks and leaves become soft and stalking or walking to your stand becomes much easier and quieter because the rain covers your sound and your ground is softer and more forgiving!! Just make sure you wear some rain proof gear because it makes for a long hunt if your soaking wet!

Comment

You can also use something like skunk scent cover around your area when you get to your stand. Put a few drops in various places around you to mask any scent you have.

It may keep others away on public land also.

Comment

Get a climber and hunt high! Helps a lot...

Comment

Smoke your clothes... Native Americans used the technique

Three threads on this right now.

Then there is ozone. There is a unit called ozonics, but a fellow member and myself have made our own less expensive, just as effective home brew models.

I've read over and over that none of the scent control stuff really works but.

OZONE and/or SMOKE work..., <--- designed by GOD...

Comment

i shower before every hunt, use scent killer etc but the biggest thing is hunting the wind and hunting off the ground. your scent simply does not play the same role 20' off the ground as it does eye level with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X