Fletching recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fletching recommendations?

I am considering changing fletching from my Duravanes that I've used for many years. I've gradually increased my draw length to what I feel (and have been told by Level 4 coaches) is perfect 28".

I shoot with 55-60 pounds and cut my arrows to 28". According to the spine charts I should be shooting a 460ish spined arrow. In the past, I shot a 26" inch arrow with a 500 spine and the 1.8" Duravane.

The 1.8" Duravane will not provide enough "steering" for the stiffer spine. I've been told to go with larger vanes, but I'm not sure which one to use. I really do NOT like the Blazers. It's just a me thing. I know they are popular, but what other vanes do you think are good?

I like how the Zeon Fusions group, but I have to put a heavy helical and they are loud. And, I've had trouble with them ripping. I hate fletching arrows, but I refuse to allow anyone else to do it for me.

i am a REAL big fan of feathers these days, they just steer better imo. i'm shooting 2" gateway razors with a 6 degree helical.

Comment

3" fusion with a helical. Just started shooting theses and my 50 + grouping has improved a great deal. They also shot about 4" higher at 50 and 6" higher at 60 when compared to blazers.

Comment

After I posted this I went to Duravanes web site and I'm looking hard at those Fusions. You say 3"? I was looking at the 2.1 because of the higher profile. This would be the direct competition to the Blazers. Same length, profile, weight....

I shoot a lot of competition in 3D, too.

So, muddyfuzzy, I've thought about feathers, but I don't see any professional archers using those in 3D. I wonder why?

Comment

Blazers or Feathers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            After I posted this I went to Duravanes web site and I'm looking hard at those Fusions. You say 3"? I was looking at the 2.1 because of the higher profile. This would be the direct competition to the Blazers. Same length, profile, weight....

I shoot a lot of competition in 3D, too.

So, muddyfuzzy, I've thought about feathers, but I don't see any professional archers using those in 3D. I wonder why?
            One, they aren't looking to build and arrow with high FOC. Another reason would be that they don't need a significantly better steering fletching since they do not shoot broadheads. Feathers also need to be treated for wet weather conditions in certain situations. I used to shoot blazers, I liked them fine. I then switched to fusions, liked them better. I finally ended up with feathers and get better flight with then than either the blazers or fusions.

Comment

Our average shot is 39 yards. Would a higher FOC be better than a lower FOC?

Comment

take a look here. posts 3,4,5. control like nothing else.

Comment

Im shooting the 2 inch fusions. I like them so far. Shot blazers for years im just not a fan of them since they decided to put their logo on the vane.

Comment

I shoot high FOC for forgiveness and penetration most of the target guys shoot less, by high I mean 17% plus.

Comment

jbs - so are you saying the longer fletch is better than the higher fletch?

Maybe I need to back up a bit and say this - when I shoot an underspined arrow with tiny fletch, I can get much better groups than with a properly spined arrow with the same fletch. So how can I get the proper spined arrow, flying around 270-280 fps, to group well at 20, 30, 40 , 50, 60, and even 90 yards? The weak arrows lose their grouping after 45 yards.

Comment

an arrow with higher FOC needs less fletching than an equally built arrow with less FOC. meaning you can lose length and weight off the fletching set-up, increase velocity and possibly create a more forgiving over all arrow set-up in respects to FOC.

again what I do is hunting centric, if I shot 3d I would have a different set-up for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                          an arrow with higher FOC needs less fletching than an equally built arrow with less FOC. meaning you can lose length and weight off the fletching set-up, increase velocity and possibly create a more forgiving over all arrow set-up in respects to FOC.

again what I do is hunting centric, if I shot 3d I would have a different set-up for sure.
                          For 3D I used to run about 14%. Everyone else back then ran 7-10%

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                            For 3D I used to run about 14%. Everyone else back then ran 7-10%
                            that's a nice middle of the road %. i've had some goods arrows around there, they were of course flatter shooting, which is surely advantageous shooting from like 35 and beyond.

Comment

Fletch Flex FLP 300 in a 4 fletch. I an running 4 of Fletch Flex 3" low profile vanes on 29" Line Jammer 24 Pro shafts with 120 gr points. The 4 vanes weigh 20.4 grains. The pin nock and bushing weigh 22.4 grains for a total arrow weight of 367 grains. My FOC is 11.03%. This is the best flying arrow combo I have found in over 20 years of shooting 3D....and I have shot every brand of arrow, vanes, feather and point made in every configuration possible. This group was at 43 yards out of my Pro Comp Elite XL at 56 lbs.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Arrowsmith; 11-04-2013, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X