What mechanical for elk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
    Thought of another one. Rocket Steelhead.

Yep the 125s I shoot everything with them does great on big pigs even shoulder hits. And will open on a turkeys head.

the titanium rage should work well.

short furrles on an over the top mech can mean a deflected impact that's why I like the 125 steel head over the 100.

when I pick an aluminum furrel it will always be a short thick fixed blade with a hollow ground hardend and tip like a wasp bullet

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      Yea mine too with any broadhead

To hit bone other than ribs you gotta make a pretty bad shot.. They don't run through the middle of the shoulder
      Maybe your a perfect shot all the time but some of us aint! A few inches off can put you in the shoulder bone! Especially on some weird off kilter from your knees between trees and through the bush elk shot.Things happen quick and always aint so perfect especially when stalking elk.My elk might have been a pretty bad shot to you but he fell within 70yds and I've been enjoying the sausage,steaks,and jerky ever since and thats perfect to me!
      Last edited by ShaBow; 10-15-2013, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
        Thought of another one. Rocket Steelhead.

Yep the 125s I shoot everything with them does great on big pigs even shoulder hits. And will open on a turkeys head.

the titanium rage should work well.

short furrles on an over the top mech can mean a deflected impact that's why I like the 125 steel head over the 100.

when I pick an aluminum furrel it will always be a short thick fixed blade with a hollow ground hardend and tip like a wasp bullet

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
          Maybe your a perfect shot all the time but some of us aint! A few inches off can put you in the shoulder bone! Especially on some weird off kilter from your knees between trees and through the bush elk shot.Things happen quick and always aint so perfect especially when stalking elk.My elk might have been a pretty bad shot to you but he fell within 70yds and I've been enjoying the sausage,steaks,and jerky ever since and thats perfect to me!
          Nope not a perfect shot but the bones don't run straight up. To hit the bones is almost completely off the vitals. Did you shoot through the shoulder muscles or actually through a bone? If bone that's good that you got him cuz I noticed those bones are big on my last elk. I know if I squared up on one it wouldn't go through.

Comment

I hit the rearward portion of the shoulder went through the top of the heart and came out behind the opposite shoulder.The spot your talking about is more forward and someone would lucky to get an arrow through that spot.The weird thing is the buddy of mine shooting the mechanical head didn't seem to catch as much of the shoulder as I did and he did not get enough penetration shooting basically the same speed and weight arrow.Headed to the deerstand know good luck whatever BH you decide to use!

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
              I hit the rearward portion of the shoulder went through the top of the heart and came out behind the opposite shoulder.The spot your talking about is more forward and someone would lucky to get an arrow through that spot.The weird thing is the buddy of mine shooting the mechanical head didn't seem to catch as much of the shoulder as I did and he did not get enough penetration shooting basically the same speed and weight arrow.Headed to the deerstand know good luck whatever BH you decide to use!
              good luck

Comment

For what it's worth- I got complete pass through using the standard Grim Reaper on this elk at 33 yards. I have no problem using them again.

Z7 @ 70 lbs
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                  The do. Its called a German Kenetic XL.
                  Aluminum ferrule ..... I use 100gr Solid Broadhead as my go to elk head, but after watching what a ulmer will do at distance I'd use one on elk if I had tuning issues.

I'm a titanium rage lover to and I'd use one sitting a water hole but not spot and stalk. I wish I could find away to change the oring to collar.

Some guys are trimming the hypo blades to 1.5 cut and raving about them. Hopefully we will see a low ke hypo next year
                  Last edited by Texans42; 10-16-2013, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    Aluminum ferrule ..... I use 100gr Solid Broadhead as my go to elk head, but after watching what a ulmer will do at distance I'd use one on elk if I had tuning issues.

I'm a titanium rage lover to and I'd use one sitting a water hole but not spot and stalk. I wish I could find away to change the oring to collar.

Some guys are trimming the hypo blades to 1.5 cut and raving about them. Hopefully we will see a low ke hypo next year
                    I'll bet they do come out with a Hypo 40KE!

Comment

Ya, im suprised they didnt release it this year. I think the low ke version of the hypo would be a huge hit out west and eventually be the number one mech out there.

Ulmer upped their game with the new all steel version for micro arrows. Although I don't think it actually hit the shelves this year in 100gr standard thread. Will say the original for an aluminum ferrule its pretty beefy.

Comment

I've killed three elk with Rocket miniblasters. Complete pass through all three times.

Comment

my buddy kills elk consistently with rocket steelheads. I personally use the rocket sidewinders

I would have no issue shooting an elk with either one.

Comment

Yeah but you aint gonna tear it up on an animal. Its supported by the blades.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp Shooter13 View Post
                              I've killed three elk with Rocket miniblasters. Complete pass through all three times.
                              I like those as well. bent a few with the long hollow ground tip.but the one with the chisel tip is a tough little head

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                                Yeah but you aint gonna tear it up on an animal. Its supported by the blades.
                                What's stronger steel or aluminium?

Comment

Working...
                                X