Aoudad/Nilgai Set Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoudad/Nilgai Set Up

I have a Bowtech Invasion. It is set up at 28" draw and 72#'s. Right now I am shooting Goldtip 55/75 at 28" with 125 Germin Kinetic XL's. At 20 yards I have no issue with this set up, my fear is if my shot is 40-50 yards. Will I have enough KE to get good penatration?

I have been looking at the Quest thumpers and Grizzstics shafts. I like the tapered shaft idea. As far as broad heads, the GK will do the job.

If you were going to build an arrow for these animals, what would you use? Shaft? Broad head?

Same set up but about 500 grains.

Comment

I've seen Audad killed with a 46# bow. You'll be fine

Comment

I'm building a arrow for a nilgai hunt myself. Ragin has been helping me. The arrow I'm testing now is gold tip velocity 300 spine. 26 in long 100 grain insert with a 125 strickland helix broadhead should be around 482.

I'm short draw 26.5 with a bad shoulder. 65 lb pull. Hoping to be around 260 fps.

Foc around 21%

Comment

Might want to watch your spine....55-75 will be a tad soft as its 400 spine. Your setup would be better suited with a Gold Tip 7595 and cut to 29" due to being a little more radical cam at 72#. The extra inch will put you dead in the middle of the corrext spine because we have to keep in mind that your arrow length affects your spine. Just my 2 cents. And on top of it all you will pick up grain weight because the grains per inch on a 5575 is 8.2 grains per inch as opposed to your 7595 which weighs 8.9 grains per inch. Another option is if you want even more weight. Go to a 7595 cut 28" and then shoot 125 grain broadheads and that will soften spine, up your grain weight and (given your bow is tuned properly) make you more consistent and up your kinetic energy.

Comment

Also see this for reference for a start.

Comment

Also another option is kinetic 300's with 125 grn broadhead but thats not gonna be as fast and im sure if I remember correctly the setup with the most energy for you would be a regular 7595 cut 28" with 125 grn broadhead.

Comment

Good info here. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                  I'm building a arrow for a nilgai hunt myself. Ragin has been helping me. The arrow I'm testing now is gold tip velocity 300 spine. 26 in long 100 grain insert with a 125 strickland helix broadhead should be around 482.

I'm short draw 26.5 with a bad shoulder. 65 lb pull. Hoping to be around 260 fps.

Foc around 21%
                  Pretty good assesment. I will say though. That is pushing it on weight up front. 225grns between tip and nock! Wowza

Comment

Originally posted by RNTChris View Post
                    Might want to watch your spine....55-75 will be a tad soft as its 400 spine. Your setup would be better suited with a Gold Tip 7595 and cut to 29" due to being a little more radical cam at 72#. The extra inch will put you dead in the middle of the corrext spine because we have to keep in mind that your arrow length affects your spine. Just my 2 cents. And on top of it all you will pick up grain weight because the grains per inch on a 5575 is 8.2 grains per inch as opposed to your 7595 which weighs 8.9 grains per inch. Another option is if you want even more weight. Go to a 7595 cut 28" and then shoot 125 grain broadheads and that will soften spine, up your grain weight and (given your bow is tuned properly) make you more consistent and up your kinetic energy.
                    This or a velocity 300 I am shooting them with a rocket steelhead 125 out of a 70 pound bow tech. Blew through a 200 pound pig and barried in the dirt.I would have no hesitation to shoot about anything. I remember an ad where they killed a hippo with the two blade version called the nail driver

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxisman View Post
                      I've seen Audad killed with a 46# bow. You'll be fine
                      Yes on a perfect shot. Hope for the best but prepare for those massive shoulders. :thumbup:

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                        This or a velocity 300 I am shooting them with a rocket steelhead 125 out of a 70 pound bow tech. Blew through a 200 pound pig and barried in the dirt.I would have no hesitation to shoot about anything. I remember an ad where they killed a hippo with the two blade version called the nail driver
                        Will work as well.

Comment

i shot my auodad with a goldtip 7595 hunter xts with a 100 grain vortex broadhead. Had a pass through at 32 yards.

my bow was a hoyt vector 32 with the lbs set at 65lbs. so had no issues with that auodad.

Make good shot placement and you will be fine!

Comment

Remember he is, after nilgai as well. And we all dont always make pefect shots. And nilgai vitals lie behind those massive shoulders. Heavy is where its at for the most part on those style critters. Once again shot placement is key. But you hv to factor in the human element. If you have not made a bad shot you hv not shot many animals yet. It happens.

And KE is as useless as wet toilet paper. Momentum is what counts on impact.
                            Last edited by JW; 10-10-2013, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RNTChris View Post
                              Pretty good assesment. I will say though. That is pushing it on weight up front. 225grns between tip and nock! Wowza
                              How is that pushing it? Read the Ashby Reports. High FOC is key on penetration on heavy bone and big animals in general.

Comment

Working...
                              X