No announcement yet.

Climber or Hang On Stands ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My hang ons are between 10 and 12 lbs with 25 - 28" platforms. Quieter and faster to get into than a climber IMO. Lone Wolf Assault and the aluminum Gorillas are great.

Comment

One word. Mellinium.

Comment

I've been eyeballing the X-stand. It's got my attention.

Comment

is a hang on easier to get in an out of, absolutley. are they mobile, no they are not. one must practice with a climber frequently to become efficient with one. i will be hunting a climber in a different location as the deer became very keen to my hang on location last year. being quite with a climber means being comfortable with one. if you regulate their usage strictly to the deer season then chances are your climbing muscles will be out of shape, you will not be physically or mentally comfortable and more than likey make a lot on noise in the process.
          another point is that not all stands make the same amount of noise when being used. my summit viper is an exceptionally quite stand more so than others on the market.

Comment

Makes sense what your saying about being comfortable and in shape to handle a climber. I have used hang ons primarily and put up one climber this past weekend. I havent been in a climber in over a year and frankly was uncomfortable using it. I see a climbers versitility when needing to move locations on the fly. As far as comfort in use, I will stick with my hang ons.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
              is a hang on easier to get in an out of, absolutley. are they mobile, no they are not. one must practice with a climber frequently to become efficient with one. i will be hunting a climber in a different location as the deer became very keen to my hang on location last year. being quite with a climber means being comfortable with one. if you regulate their usage strictly to the deer season then chances are your climbing muscles will be out of shape, you will not be physically or mentally comfortable and more than likey make a lot on noise in the process.
              another point is that not all stands make the same amount of noise when being used. my summit viper is an exceptionally quite stand more so than others on the market.
              Mellinium recievers.

Comment

Originally posted by RackstackerG5 View Post
                For you guys who are all about hang ons, does weight factor at all with your buying decision ?
                Yes

Comment

I think my climber is more comfortable (summit). Its like sitting in a sling chair. And depending on how you feel that day you can put the top and bottom close together or far part (stretching your self out or tucking your legs up closer. Plus no ladders or anything to attract the eyes of your prey. My friend was hunting a back road on SHNF and had two ATVers drive and park basically underneath him and didnt know he was there until he yelled at them.

However its hot during september and you do sweat while climbing. Most oaks have too many low branches to climb without cutting. Pine trees suck cause of sap, but they are the most appetizing cause the straightness and lack of low branches.

Tree stands are convenient and nice if you same the spot often. Just walk up and get in it. Some rifle hunters (cheaters) can climb into their ladder stand with deer under their feeders (at 100yds) and never get busted.

The best part about the ladder is if you drop something (which seems to happen a couple times a year....beanies, arrow, a glove, etc) you just go get it, instead of having to climb down which is a pain in the *****.

I say if your feeder/ food plot hunting get a ladder.

If your hunting scrapes, game trails, or on a haunch, get a climber.

Oh and it isnt hard to work a climber. Practice a few times. And it isnt a race. Your confidence will sky rocket after a few times and you'll find yourself walking through woods saying "I can climb that tree, I can climb that tree, thats a good one.....etc"
                  Last edited by JoseyWales82; 09-10-2013, 03:48 PM. Reason: thought of more to say after reading someone elses repsonse

Comment

Climbers are safer and more comfortable, yes...

But only for those fit enough to use them.

And, they limit you too much IMO for tree selection. However, if you have the right tree, or just feel the need to get really high up (as some do) they're your best bet.

I use hang-ons exclusively, but I like to be in trees with branches to break up my outline, and if you do that, you don't have to go so high, which gives you more target area on live animals anyway.

With my aluminum Gorilla hang-on, and a small pack full of strap-on tree steps, I can be in virtually any tree I see in a matter of just 15 minutes, and sometimes less. The whole thing, steps and all, weighs just 17 lbs.

It's the best option for public land I've found, and I've been doing this a while now.

Comment

Good climbers tend to be more comfortable than lock-ons.
                      That being said... I keep 9 lock-ons in place on trails near bedding and feed areas.
                      Plus... 3-4 climbers placed on trees in areas that I think may produce. If they don't they get moved to other locations. The climbers are placed on trees in early Sept that I have come across during the spring and summer and feel have good potential. That way little setup time is needed when I hunt them. If the climber hunted areas seem worthy of a lock on then one may get moved there for the next season.

I would much prefer to hunt an area a few times with my climber rather than go through all the trouble of placing a lock-on on the tree, cut shooting lanes, and findout it was all a waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                      X