Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback needed

Hey all,
    I'm very new to bow hunting (just started last season) and am not sure if I'm doing all the right things. I bought a 2007 (I think?) PSE Brute from my neighbor to use as a "starter bow". Well I was pretty much immediately able to hit the target I was intending. However I wasn't told how to shoot. What knowledge I have has come from the fine folks of the green screen. With that being said, I have some questions:

I am wondering if the bow I have is the right draw length and weight for me. As I said earlier its a PSE Brute but I have no idea what DL or DW it is. I had my wife take this pic so I could see if I had proper form. Haha please forgive the sweat but this was right after it rained and it was more than humid.

I have a three pin Trophy Ridge sight, Octane stab, and this rest. I guess what I'm asking is this. Is there anything glaringly obvious that I need to change in my setup? When I shoot it seems like a LONG time between release and the arrow hitting the target. I never had the opportunity to release on anything last year so I'm worried that a deer would react faster than my arrow would get there. Thanks in advance for your input!!

You're better off than most.

You could lower the DL a little, but IMO, if you're shooting good and you're happy with it the way it is then no need in changing.

However, if you took the DL down a half inch, I bet your groups would shrink, you look slightly stretched out. Try to extend your bow arm? Get the half inch that way.

You want your release arm level or slightly raised elbow. Your knuckles on your release hand on your ear lobe.

Overall, your form is good. Hard to tell if your grip is relaxed. Make sure you don't death grip the bow. It's okay to wrap your fingers, just keep it loose!

Comment

Quickly glancing your equipment, its a great setup to learn on. First thing I would upgrade would be the rest if I was you. Those Brushes wear out over time and need replacing. A good drop away to look into is the nap apache. Cheap and quiet. Won't lock in the up position but for 60-70 bucks, its hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
        you look slightly stretched out. Try to extend your bow arm? Get the half inch that way.
        Thanks for the input. What did you mean by this? I'm stretched out but you're saying to try and stretch further? Sorry, this just didn't translate.

Comment

TL, I believe what he may be saying is to extend your left arm into "Lock-Out" position where everything in your stance has a free-flowing movement. However, be careful not to get your forearm in the way, string burn hurts! Nice Setup

Comment

Originally posted by mshotwell View Post
            TL, I believe what he may be saying is to extend your left arm into "Lock-Out" position where everything in your stance has a free-flowing movement. However, be careful not to get your forearm in the way, string burn hurts! Nice Setup
            Haha yeah when I shot it for the first THREE times I hit my forearm. My neighbor (who I bought it from) scratched his head and said he didn't know what the problem was. Only then did it dawn on him to ask if I was looking through the peep. I was just placing the pin on target and releasing. Lol I never knew to look through the peep. It looked like I had a freaking egg implanted under my skin.

Comment

I know what you mean,
              I have an older PSE Citation. It was my learning bow but now I have 4 years under my peep sight with it and just last Thursday ordered a new Mission Ballistic. a 28'' axle to axle with 70# draw, I have a new QAP fall away for it and will put a TruGlo 4 pin on it. not sure about a stabilizer yet. I want to ask questions, but I just became a member yesterday and it wont let me ask..... But it should be a good year this year I hope! we passed many good horns last season

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                Thanks for the input. What did you mean by this? I'm stretched out but you're saying to try and stretch further? Sorry, this just didn't translate.
                I should have worded that differently.

It's in your release arm. It runs uphill towards the nock. Ideally you would want the arm to be level or have the elbow slightly higher.

Decreasing the DL would help, but you may be able to make it up by extending your bow arm more.

If you're slapping your forearm, generally that's a sign of a long DL.

Comment

Grip can also help keep your forearm turned out. Having your knuckles at around a 45 degree angle to your riser on your bow hand. They make training aids to help form that habit.

Comment

You look like you're set up right to me, just make sure you keep a consistent anchor when you pull back and you're good to go

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                      Quickly glancing your equipment, its a great setup to learn on. First thing I would upgrade would be the rest if I was you. Those Brushes wear out over time and need replacing. A good drop away to look into is the nap apache. Cheap and quiet. Won't lock in the up position but for 60-70 bucks, its hard to beat.
                      I agree with this, when I switched to a drop away a couple of years ago I could see any improvement in my shooting, I won't comment much on form, it's a lot like a golf swing, find what's comfortable and repeatable for you

Comment

Another way to say "extension of bow arm" is to think "push the bow farther out".
                        Are you using a wrist sling? Looks like one on the bow--it's one of the best aids you can get IMO.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback y'all. I think I'm reading two conflicting things.
                          1) That my bow arm needs to be fully extended.
                          2) That I should reduce my DL.

These seem to conflict each other. If I extended my bow arm all the way then trigger hand resting point would be up by my nose, which would indicate a need to lengthen (not shorten) DL. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                            Are you using a wrist sling? Looks like one on the bow--it's one of the best aids you can get IMO.
                            There is one but I rarely use it when in the backyard. I thought it was just to keep from dropping it while hunting. Maybe it's not setup right but how does that aid you in shooting.

Thanks again for all the help y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                              Thanks for all the feedback y'all. I think I'm reading two conflicting things.
                              1) That my bow arm needs to be fully extended.
                              2) That I should reduce my DL.

These seem to conflict each other. If I extended my bow arm all the way then trigger hand resting point would be up by my nose, which would indicate a need to lengthen (not shorten) DL. Am I missing something?
                              I may be wrong too but IMO you don't need to shorten your DL. If anything, once you straighten your bow arm, you'll need to go with a longer DL. Straightening your bow arm will push the bow out farther, in turn "reducing" current DL.
                              Be careful straightening/extending your bow arm at first. Since your "new" to it you might wear your left forearm out with the string. Remember that extending your bow arm doesn't mean torquing your wrist in. Stand at 45 degree to the target so that you don't shoot across your chest. Both will reduce the chance of hitting your bow forearm.
                              Last edited by Cuz; 07-10-2013, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X