Is it me? Or anyone else have......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it me? Or anyone else have......

...the same experience. Looking for input from anyone (trad and wheel bow shooters). I'll try to make this short. Started shooting a bow when i was 10. A nice Bear recurve that mom and dad got me for Christmas. Just switched to a wheel-bow about 10 years ago.

Issue: If i pull the wheel bow up and pull the trigger within 2 seconds or less (and I wiggle A LOT), I'm in the bull (dead right there heart shot) every time. If I have to hold, God forbid I even hit the target!

The question is....does it make sense that I shoot on instinct with a wheel bow that has sights (which are dialed in I might add)?

Is it target panic ? Heck, just take the sight off and shoot "instinctive" then

Comment

I had the same issue a few years ago. what I did was keep my finger behind the trigger and just let the pin float on the thing I wanted to hit.
      it seemed to settle me down. there is a time when the brain screams "OH YEAH, That's money" well, I set my trigger light, lighter than most people. I kept my finger back of the trigger like I said till it became time for the kill shot.

Once the animal moved into a killable position I put the finger on the trigger and tracking the dot on the kill zone became the focus, when the brain screamed, I started to put pressure on the trigger. With it set real light it went off, at a surprise. and the hit was within a hair of where I was aiming.

It just became a way to shoot for me, tracking and waiting. now, it's the only way I shoot.
      I sorta do the same thing with my longbow, I draw anchor, then hold the deep hook and let "Me" settle down and then, I focus on the hair I want to split, once I see it, I guess I relax my fingers.
      My biggest issue is not laser beam focusing like I should. When I do. I'm deadly not matter the distance.

Comment

From shooting traditional your mind has built in a clock. Your mind will say shoot after x number of seconds.
        As Greywolf said, you will need to develope a procedure where you don't go immediately to the trigger but just practice aiming. You need to set a new clock in the mind.
        Relax and be patient.

Comment

It's not really target panic, or at least I don't think it is. I originally though I was pulling to much weight, but that doesn't seem to help either. I've dialed the bow back to as little as 50 pounds and if I have to hold for longer than about 4 or 5 seconds, my mind tells me I don't know where the arrow is going to hit. If I pull, acquire and release quickly, money.

Thanks for the advise Greywolf and Old Killer. I'll try adjusting my release and resetting my internal clock.

Comment

Working...
          X