No announcement yet.

Montec broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone shot an Elk with these Slick Trick Mag's? Those seem to be the most popular but haven't heard if they are good for penetration on an Elk

Comment

I do believe there was a thread a long while back talking about slick trick mags for elk. Start s new thread posing that question, and im sure you will get all the info you need.

Comment

I have used them for years. Found every deer, some just walked circles until found due to lack of blood, until last year when I lost a buck due to no blood trail. I found good blood for about 20 yards then nothing, looked for that deer for hours but not another spot of blood. I am still using them on trash pigs but went back to Shuttle-T's and may give Ulmer's a try this year for deer and keeper pigs. Good broadheads, very easy to sharpen, but I'm looking for more blood when I need it.

Comment

Shoot with field tips, really good. Killed with them, too, but have had tracking difficulties. Will go another route this year. I started over the weekend with thunderheads, good group 10" to right of field points:-(

Comment

Originally posted by c14smalls View Post
            I have used them for years. Found every deer, some just walked circles until found due to lack of blood, until last year when I lost a buck due to no blood trail. I found good blood for about 20 yards then nothing, looked for that deer for hours but not another spot of blood. I am still using them on trash pigs but went back to Shuttle-T's and may give Ulmer's a try this year for deer and keeper pigs. Good broadheads, very easy to sharpen, but I'm looking for more blood when I need it.
            Yep, I switched over to shuttle T's after using the Montecs. Since shooting the shuttle T's, I noticed that they were way quieter than the montecs due to not having a window! Have ya'll tried the Exodus broadheads. those babies are razor sharp, quiet, they hold a decent edge and they fly like field points! I've tried alot of broadheads over the years and the exodus broadhead and the NAP spitfire edge are what I'm tinkering with now. Spitfires are leaving some decent blood trails!

Comment

I agree with what has been mentioned. I shot a pile of animals with the original montecs. Got lucky and recovered almost all of them. Did seem blood trails weren't great. The originals never felt sharp to me and I could never get them very sharp myself. I feel that was a problem with the blood trails. Dull heads tend to push tissue and vessels out of the way instead of cutting or transecting. They are a tough head in my opinion and fly very well. I think the CS version is a much better head with much sharper edges. I used montecs on my second trip to Africa and it really seemed that animals hit well stayed on their feet forever and didn't lose much blood. I used Exodus head this year and blood was pouring and blowing out the holes. I did shoot a Yukon moose with 2 different G5 heads. First shot was decent but a tad back and a tad low with a Stryker. Second shot was 40 yards quartering to. The Montec CS managed to go through the scapula of a moose and make it to the opposite side of the chest. I was really impressed with that. Not sure if any of that helps.

Comment

Working...
              X