Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My sights are all of the sudden off - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sights are all of the sudden off - why?

I have a Bowtech 101st airborne. I shoot more than most bowhunters. I put a new string on my bow in August and have been shooting ever since. I shoot a hunter hogg it spott hogg sight. I have been practicing out to 70 yards for a hunt I am going on Wednesday. I get a 4 inch group at 70 yards consistently. It gets better the closer I get.

Just today I went out to shoot and my arrows are hitting low and right. I am about 6 inches low and 6 inches right at 70 yards. It is about 5 inches both directions at 50, about 4 at 40. I haven't shot it closer than that.

What could cause this. It looks consistent across all ranges. It is much colder. I was wearing a lot more clothes, but I did shoot 3 in a t-shirt and it was also off. I did do a to of manual labor all day Saturday and Sunday and I haven't shot since Friday. Could I just be pulling the shots due to my sore muscles?

I am down to a couple of more hours of sunlight after work tomorrow before we leave.

I started to adjust the sights, but I hate to do that with only one day of different grouping.

was the bow level (perpendicular to the ground)? just my first thought.

Comment

I would wait until tomorrow and shoot again. Could be sore muscles and form off a little. Rest up tonight and giove it another try tomorrow. If it is still of, thenm maybe adjust the sights.
      Jusy my opinion

Comment

I shot some arrows today and was also shooting about 4-5" high consistently. I had my strings re-served fri and it was shooting fine after. So I chalked it up to either a bad day or the cold stiffening my limbs and shrinking my strings. Don't know if that's possible but it sounds plausible. I am going to try again tomorrow and see what the results are. Watching this one to see what the gs has to say about our quandary

Comment

Were you shooting with field points before and broadheads now or new arrows now?

Comment

These are the same arrows. I am shooting with field tips and practice heads. Everything appears to me to be the same.

The bow should be level. I do have a level in the sights. I glance at it when shooting and I don't remember ever seeing it off center.

Comment

Gotta be you then. Give it a rest. I asked cause mine were right on then got new arrows and they were inconsitant with broadheads. Every arrow hit different. Arrows were poorly cut. I ordered some from San Antonio with broadheads, asked them to make sure they were spinning true and everything was right on target once I got them. Good luck. Im sure you'll be back on track after some rest.

Comment

I'm gonna guess sore muscles or if your like me your hands stiffen up a bit when the weather changes like it just did. Or possible one of your cables coming apart. I would try again tomorrow and just see what happens.

Comment

I ran into the same prob a while back. I found my rest had came loose. Check the timing marks on your cams as well.

Comment

was the wind blowing from the front coming through? i know that sounds like a stupid question but?? how long was the bow outside before shooting?

just trying to think of things besides a loose screw..
                    i wouldn't call it pulling (RH) sounds like dropping the bow before a good follow through.... low right

Comment

I had the same thing happen one time. Hate to say but my bottom limb was breaking down. Had to order new limbs, hope its not that. Good luck.

Comment

Have you been riding around with it in a rack on the 4 wheeler/utv? I ran into the same problem this weekend. I couldn't tell much difference at 20 yards, but when I stepped back to 30, I shot low enough to shoot under the belly of my Glen Del buck target. Fourty yards was worse, so I did the gang adjust thing on my sight, moved the whole sight up just a tad. Twenty still dead on, 30 back to where it was supposed to be, 40, 50 and 60 also needed no individual adjustment. The only thing I can figure is that riding around with it on the wheeler all season had caused my sight to move ever so slightly. Didn't make much difference at 20 yards, but once I moved back, the difference magnified.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                          Have you been riding around with it in a rack on the 4 wheeler/utv? I ran into the same problem this weekend. I couldn't tell much difference at 20 yards, but when I stepped back to 30, I shot low enough to shoot under the belly of my Glen Del buck target. Fourty yards was worse, so I did the gang adjust thing on my sight, moved the whole sight up just a tad. Twenty still dead on, 30 back to where it was supposed to be, 40, 50 and 60 also needed no individual adjustment. The only thing I can figure is that riding around with it on the wheeler all season had caused my sight to move ever so slightly. Didn't make much difference at 20 yards, but once I moved back, the difference magnified.
                          I bet your rest moved. It takes much less movement there to have a huge impact on the shot. I do not think the cold weather has anything to do with your bow and how it shoots. If that were the case, then northerners would be resiighting every day. I is either a form issue, or a mechanical issue with the bow.

Get closer to the target, like about 5 yards away, and make sure your left/right hasn't moved. Then back up to about 10 yards and shoot with your 20 pin. If it is super high from that close, it isn't you but your bow. If you are hitting everything, then split the difference to 40 and fire away.

Comment

I haven't taken the bow away from the house in a month. I just shoot in my front yard daily. I keep it in a case at all times.

The bow was only outside for a minute or two before the first shot, but by the time I was getting fed up, it was about an hour.

I didn't notice the wind so it must not have been too bad.

I did notice at leaset one drop to the lower right with my bow hand at release.

I ran my hands over all the parts and looked for anything that looked out of wack. I checked the poundage, but I am not sure my scale is accurate and I have never used it before so I don't have an original weight.

I am much less sore today so I will try again after work. My bow hand was pretty stiff because it took 3-4 glancing blows with a handheld sledge hammer on Sunday.

Comment

It sounds like an anchor point change.

Are you dropping your shoulder sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X