VAPs and Slim diameter arrow penetration on Animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAPs and Slim diameter arrow penetration on Animals

Over the past year, I have been shooting Victory VAPs.

Specifically, v6s with the 110gr stainless steel insert, and also with the firenock aero-outsert that weighs around 43 grains.

I have only shot two deer with them so far, and I am shooting NAP Bloodrunners, so I consider my tests to be FAR from conclusive, but my question is.

I know that these arrows penetrate a rhinehart target further than anything else. But how does that translate over to game?

I have read up on the liquid friction on Archery report, and so the question arises...

Are vaps really that much better than other arrow types when it comes to hunting? Not punching targets here, but real flesh and blood media.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjcs8qjKBkQ"]5 shaft diameter to ferule diameter ratio.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I agree 100% with the video of Dr. Ashby. With the size of the BH cut and the fluids associated with the penetration, the pentration of the smaller shaft is minimal as he stated. AS long as the shaft is snmaller than the ferrule of the BH, you are good to go. The super slim shafts are just a marketing ploy by the mfg much like fishing baits and lures in, my opinion.

Comment

the real benefit, at least for me is decreased cross-wind drift. the decreased surface area results in less friction which equals less drift. the fact that my deep impacts penetrate well is really an added bonus for me and i shoot them for reasons other than that. i wouldn't go as far as to say its all marketing as there are some pro's to that type of set-up.

Comment

Well for me it comes down to whether my Easton st excels are 5% smaller, because they are a heck of a lot cheaper than vaps.

I'm gearing up for shooting pigs this time of year, and with the rate that pigs tend to break arrows, shooting pigs with 15 dollars worth of arrow can get expensive awfully quick.

Comment

Originally posted by K86 View Post
            Well for me it comes down to whether my Easton st excels are 5% smaller, because they are a heck of a lot cheaper than vaps.

I'm gearing up for shooting pigs this time of year, and with the rate that pigs tend to break arrows, shooting pigs with 15 dollars worth of arrow can get expensive awfully quick.

If you have some time to kill, go to youtube and search Ed Ashby. There are about a dozen videos that he does. He explains the basis of penetration and lists many of the factors order of importance.

Shaft drag is pretty far down on the list. If you're worried about penetration, weight, front of center, broadhead choice, etc. would account for a larger difference.

Good luck. Report back to us if you try something new and have results to share.

Comment

for the best penetration the two blade single bevel design rules to roost. dr. ashby's videos are enlightening to say the least, the guy is a savant.

Comment

Ive been shooting single bevel heads for the past year. Specifically the RFA Razorhawk. Ive read up quite a bit of the Ashby report but I guess i glossed over the part about arrow diameter.

I even took about a 350lb hog with the razorhawk back in march. Perfect broadside shot at 20yds.

My only concern with them is the smaller cutting diameter. I lost two hogs with hits that were slightly high back in May of this year and I never could find them. Blood was good and thick and cut out after about 400 yds. This was not the broadheads fault, but my own completely. You also have to take into account hunting from an elevated stand, as you stand a chance of only taking out one lung with downward angles.

I know mechanicals and hogs arent recommended, but that is part of why i figured VAPs may wind up giving me an ever so slight advantage in penetration concerning large cutting diameter mechs.
                Last edited by Kirby86; 12-02-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

VAP's are real light in GPI. Harvest Time (if theyre still around), easton, and black eagle have some great small dia shafts that are heavier.

Comment

Interesting.....will have to look into this as well......

Comment

Originally posted by K86 View Post
                      Ive been shooting single bevel heads for the past year. Specifically the RFA Razorhawk. .
                      got some of those coming in the mail!

Comment

I find myself not getting too worked up about penetration, since I have watched arrows of various diameters and qualities easily blow through deer and hogs. The videos that folks have posted on the internet about small diameter shafts and penetration use outserts and 9/32" field points, so it only stands to reason that the point is moving foam away faster than it can recover around the smaller diameter shaft. It's an even more impressive result through plywood of any thickness, since there is no elastic recovery of the wood, allowing the shaft to glide through a hole greater than it's diameter. Don't get me wrong, I just got some VAPs and shot them out to 60 yards today, and they fly and group great, even with a little cross wind. I am going to buy more within the next month to tune them to match another bow. My experience in foam targets is with the glue-in inserts that are the same diameter as the shafts, they don't seem to penetrate any better than "standard" diameter arrows with matching screw-in points.

cricman

Comment

Every animal I have ever shot with my Easton st epic 400's 8.6 gpi 29" with 2" blazers tipped with a 100gr Slick Trick magnum has been a complete pass-thru with 40 yrd or less tracking job.
                          deer hogs turkeys bobcats coyotes coons rabbits squirrels a very mean rooster nutria possum gar. I have stopped using them for all animals on the list past #5 for cost. I have some cheap 2$ Allen brand walmart arrows and broadheads I use on them now and I am putting together a new fishing bow now.

Comment

Working...
                          X