New sight problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New sight problems

Just bought a spot hogg sight from a TBHer and installed it yesterday. My 20 yrd shot is dead on but my 30 yrd pin is hitting to the right about 6 inches. My pins are lined up on the wire. Is this a tuning problem with the rest? Im an IDIOT for changing my sight a freakin week before deer season. My other sight was dead on from 20-60 yrds. I didnt change anything else either. Please help!

Originally posted by hfdcrow View Post
    Just bought a spot hogg sight from a TBHer and installed it yesterday. My 20 yrd shot is dead on but my 30 yrd pin is hitting to the right about 6 inches. My pins are lined up on the wire. Is this a tuning problem with the rest? Im an IDIOT for changing my sight a freakin week before deer season. My other sight was dead on from 20-60 yrds. I didnt change anything else either. Please help!
    at first, it sounds like a definite tune problem. if you still have the other sight, assuming it was mulit-pin, stick it back on and shoot.

if not, sounds like a quick re-tune is in order by bumping the rest to the left. or, make sure there's not fletching contact if it's a drop away.

Comment

6 inches is a pretty big difference, but problems in tune and form are magnified the further out you go. The leveling may be off from the string.

Comment

How do I know if there's fletching contact. I have a drop away.

Comment

If you want to look for fletching contact, you can spray some foot powder on your rest or use some lip stick/camo face paint/etc. The vanes will leave a mark where they contact.

To check the leveling, you'll need a clip on string level and a bow vise.

Comment

Most Spot-Hogg sights have 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments. Perhaps the 2nd axis is off slanted / ? I'm guessing it's not a tuning issue because you say the bow was dead on with the old sight.

The process is pretty simple for checking/adjusting 2nd axis. Just go to Spot-Hoggs website -> Products and click to download the Product Instructions for your model.

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
              Most Spot-Hogg sights have 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments. Perhaps the 2nd axis is off slanted / ? I'm guessing it's not a tuning issue because you say the bow was dead on with the old sight.

The process is pretty simple for checking/adjusting 2nd axis. Just go to Spot-Hoggs website -> Products and click to download the Product Instructions for your model.
              I'd do this. Since it sounds like you bought it used you have no way of knowing how the previous owner had it adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post

I agree. If you shoot your 20 yd pin at the 30 yd target it would be low but in line correct? This should tell you if its your 2nd pin or bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                  I agree. If you shoot your 20 yd pin at the 30 yd target it would be low but in line correct? This should tell you if its your 2nd pin or bow.
                  I haven't tried that yet. I'm gonna do the walk back tune as soon as I get a chance. Also gonna download the manual for this thing. Just doesn't make sense cause the pins are all lined up with the wire in the middle of the sight.
                  Thanks for yalls help!

Anymore suggestions let me know!

Comment

It makes perfect sense if the 2nd axis is off. The wire in the sight isn't lined up perfectly with the string. So imagine mounting the sight on the bow with it rotated clockwise a little bit. Wouldn't have to be much. Even if you center the bubble level, then your string isn't level. Rotating clockwise with the 20 yard pin set for dead on would push the 30 yard pin to the left in relation to the string, causing you to aim to the right when everything is lined up. The sight itself will look fine.

Comment

Here's what the Right On Manual says.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
                      PINS DON’T LINE UP WITH THE WIRE: The horizontal setting of the arrow rest is tied to the bubble of the sight on all Solo
                      Cam & Single Cam bows. If the horizontal setting is not set correctly, you will find that when sighted in the pins don’t line
                      up with the wire. If from top to bottom, the pins are running right to left, you need to move your arrow rest to the right. If
                      from top to bottom, the pins are running left to right, you need to move the arrow rest to the left.

Sounds like its my rest after all. Hopefully that will fix my problem. Shoulda looked at this earlier!

Comment

Here's what the Right On Manual says.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
                        PINS DON’T LINE UP WITH THE WIRE: The horizontal setting of the arrow rest is tied to the bubble of the sight on all Solo
                        Cam & Single Cam bows. If the horizontal setting is not set correctly, you will find that when sighted in the pins don’t line
                        up with the wire. If from top to bottom, the pins are running right to left, you need to move your arrow rest to the right. If
                        from top to bottom, the pins are running left to right, you need to move the arrow rest to the left.

Sounds like its my rest after all. Hopefully that will fix my problem. Shoulda looked at this earlier!
                        May be your rest, but since you're other sight worked properly out to 60, you have to question whether it's your rest, or an axis issue.

Comment

Working...
                        X