Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

arrow flight question......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
    If there is a difference in the O/S diameter of the 2 arrows, then there may be a difference at 20 yards. A thinner shaft will sit lower on the rest and thus probably hit lower. The weight difference could also cause a lower hit, but a lot more noticeable at longer distances. If you are not getting the left to right stray arrows, then you are probably good to go just by readjusting your sights.
    thanks, i didn't think about the difference in arrow diameter. there's quite a bit of difference there. going from a .294 to whatever a micro diameter is (can't find any numbers). for future reference, when i cut these down, go back with hit inserts at 16gr or go with the deep six steel at 25gr? deep six gives me 424 wt @263/65KE, hit gives 417wt @265/65KE, compared to what i'm currently getting, 278/64 @375wt. is this about the expected numbers i should be getting from my setup? if the KE is only 1 point difference, the 13 fps a big deal?

Comment

You numbers will be different if you cut them. Remember you will be losing how ever many grains per inch that you cut off. Personally I would go with the steel inserts over the HIT inserts. It is a personal preference, and I like the insert to cover the end of the shaft so it doesn't splinter when shot into targets and animals.

Comment

I think mudslinger is right on track. Smaller diameter is a big reason sitting lower in the rest. Good Luck. Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
          You numbers will be different if you cut them. Remember you will be losing how ever many grains per inch that you cut off. Personally I would go with the steel inserts over the HIT inserts. It is a personal preference, and I like the insert to cover the end of the shaft so it doesn't splinter when shot into targets and animals.
          yep, those numbers are at 27.5 instead of 30. i agree about the insert covering, but they do make an adapter ring which covers the end. either way, it will probably be a while to use new arrows. got 8 of current arrows to burn up. i'm sure wife will say poor excuse for going hunting more.

Comment

I would do what Bowhuntntxn and stay with the regular inserts.

Comment

Working...
            X