Site Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site Question

I have been shooting mulit pin sites, started with an IQ 3-pin I really liked, but my son has taken it over, currently shooting a 5 pin spot hog. I was wanting some input from the guys who shoot single pins, what are the advantages/draw backs? I have taken a couple of years off from doing much shooting and hunting, so I really want to know if it would be worth the effort of switching since I'm kind of getting serious again. My hunting is mostly from blinds over feeders at set distance. Thanks for the input.

The single pin is going to be much better for long range - 3D type shooting. In the 3D world you have time to address the yardage and make the sight adjustment. In a hunting situation where you aren't making Levi Morgan 110 yard shots the five pin is likely to be the better choice. These days they have mixture sight - like a 3 pin slider. It does both.

Comment

Agree with what kevin says above but i'll add that in my hunting set, I'm shooting 20-40 yds. I'll set my pin at thirty and the holdover +/- 10 yds is minimal/manageable. You dont have to adjust every shot. Just food for thought.

Comment

An advantage of the single over multi is you won't shoot the wrong pin. Also its a much less cluttered sight picture. Our eyes like to center things, pin in center of scope, scope on chest of piggy. Your eye naturally wants to align things... you can't do that with multi pin, as all pins are likely off-center. I've never been bit by have to adjust sight, and I usually adjust it for the happy medium of whatever I'm hunting. If I was a out west spot and stalk guy I'd probably set it on 30 or 40 and KY windage off of that. I also change things up a lot, and re-adjusting multiple pins would drive me nuts. I just change tapes, adjust pointer at 40 and I'm usually good from 20 to 100. Ironically the React series from TR has a big advantage there.

Comment

Evrything is a compromise, you must decide what to compromise on that makes you happy.
          Single pin: More accurate if you can set the exact range (usually), better sight picture; more movement to get set or more practice to be accurate with hold over/under.
          Multi-pin: Less movement, easier to 'gap-shoot' without the brain drain of hold over/under math: more cluttered sight picture, easy to use the wrong pin in the moment, Not as accurate (usually).
          Multi-pin Slider: Sight picture is between single poin and multi-pin, but still cluttered, can gap shoot easily, can move the pins for precise setting, movement is usually less at hunting distances, but can be the same as single pin sights if you want to adjust for a precise setting (nice to have options).
          EZ-V: Least cluttered sight picture, no movement, frame and claim, less expensive than auto ranging sights.
          Auto-ranging sights: Can be multi-pin or single pin, takes a little more time, batteries need to be maintained for operation, heavier (not always a bad thing) and more expensive.

Comment

I’ve always shot multi pin sights till here recent. I now have two single pin slider sights and I absolutely love it. I have a HHA Tetra and an Axcel single pin.

Less clutter and the improved sight picture makes aiming faster and easier. IMO.

I only hunt over feeders so ranges are pretty much known but sure like having the slider for exact yardages.

I do have a 3 pin slider I can use if I ever go on an Exotic, Elk or Mule deer hunt in the future.

So I’d vote for a single pin slider or a dual pin slider.
            Last edited by Bone Thug; 03-27-2024, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
              I’ve always shot multi pin sights till here recent. I now have two single pin slider sights and I absolutely love it. I have a HHA Tetra and an Axcel single pin.

Less clutter and the improved sight picture makes aiming faster and easier. IMO.

I only hunt over feeders so ranges are pretty much known but sure like having the slider for exact yardages.

I do have a 3 pin slider I can use if I ever go on an Exotic, Elk or Mule deer hunt in the future.

So I’d vote for a single pin slider or a dual pin slider.
              Can I borrow your Axcel for TAC Colorado?

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post

Can I borrow your Axcel for TAC Colorado?
                Sure can. I don’t mind if you need to borrow it.

Comment

Sure can. I don’t mind if you need to borrow it.
                  Oh wow. I was just joking, but I have been jonesing for a single pin slider, and the Axcel Landslide is supposed to be one of the very best.

Comment

Oh wow. I was just joking, but I have been jonesing for a single pin slider, and the Axcel Landslide is supposed to be one of the very best.
                    The Axcel Landslyde is at the top of the list. It’s a great sight.

Mine isn’t the landslyde though. I have the Axcel Accuhunter Plus with the AV-41mm scope and the short Mathews bridgelock bar on it. I really like it.

I really like my HHA Tetra short bar sight but I would love to get a Landslyde as well.

Comment

The Axcel Landslyde is at the top of the list. It’s a great sight.

Mine isn’t the landslyde though. I have the Axcel Accuhunter Plus with the AV-41mm scope and the short Mathews bridgelock bar on it. I really like it.

I really like my HHA Tetra short bar sight but I would love to get a Landslyde as well.
                      I bought the Mathews Axcel 5 pin for my whitetail hunting, but I just made a deal on a Redline Torch 2 pin dovetail, and I have confirmation from Redline that it will work with the Bridgelock system, That will give me the 2 pin slider for the upcoming 3D shoot, and it if I like it I may upgrade to a better sight some time in the future. The Redline has some really good reviews for the price point. And I got it for less than half of retail. But I may decide I don't like a slider and want to stick with my 5 pin.

We shall see.

Comment

I bought the Mathews Axcel 5 pin for my whitetail hunting, but I just made a deal on a Redline Torch 2 pin dovetail, and I have confirmation from Redline that it will work with the Bridgelock system, That will give me the 2 pin slider for the upcoming 3D shoot, and it if I like it I may upgrade to a better sight some time in the future. The Redline has some really good reviews for the price point. And I got it for less than half of retail. But I may decide I don't like a slider and want to stick with my 5 pin.

We shall see.
                        That’ll work. That Axcel Mathews 5 pin is a great sight.

Good deal. I bet you’ll like that 2 pin redline slider.

Comment

There are a metric crap ton of used sights for sale on archery talk. Might not be a bad cheap option to try several of them. All of the higher end sliders should be in great shape used.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmgfish32 View Post
                            There are a metric crap ton of used sights for sale on archery talk. Might not be a bad cheap option to try several of them. All of the higher end sliders should be in great shape used.
                            Thanks, I will check them out, I love the Spot Hog but it's an older version and a pain to adjust.

Comment

Working...
                            X