changing let-off and fps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing let-off and fps

its time to tinker for me.... taking my bow in tomorrow to get cleaned adjusted etc... has anyone gone from 85%-80% let off????
    what were speed changes? draw cycle changes? draw length changes? pros? cons? etc etc

shooting a phase 4 29" now at
    29.5' DL
    493 GRAIN ARROW
    292 FPS

has nobody played with letoff?

Comment

Yeah. I went from 90 to 80 and it changed how the bow felt so much that I put it back to 90. The little bit of a increase in speed wasn’t worth it

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
        Yeah. I went from 90 to 80 and it changed how the bow felt so much that I put it back to 90. The little bit of a increase in speed wasn’t worth it
        Thank you sir I’ll be going from 85-80 so we shall see got a whole year to see if I like it or not

Comment

Yeah now is the time to do it. But my bow got so jumpy, I couldn’t relax at all

Comment

I prefer a little more holding weight. It makes me stay in my shot a little longer and not get lazy. You may gain a couple feet per second, I don’t feel like it made my bow jumpy, but I’m sure every bow is different.

Comment

For most hunting bows lowering letoff will not really affect speed, and in fact will lower it. It seems counterintuitive, but it is because the way adjustable letoff is accomplished on a lot of hunting bows. Mod specific letoffs (think Mathews) can provide minor speed increases, but its so small when changing 5-10% its within the error of most chronos. If a bow doesn't use mods to control letoff (think PSE, Hoyt, etc) then lowering letoff also shortens draw length, which actually minutely decreases speed. If the draw length were to remain the same, the lower letoff would provide a small speed increase, or moderate depending on the swing. The consequence of shortening DL to accomplish the letoff is that you also lose your valley. It can make for a "jump" or "twitchy" bow. On a PSE with the new gen Evolve cams if you switch to the Low Letoff mods on say a EC cam, you'll get 6-8fps. In the grand scheme not a ton, but people change gear up for less. Also note letoff changes take a while to get used to, if you're used to holding 8, and you go to 15... even if the bow has lots of valley its gonna feel twitchy.... because your body is thoroughly trained to hold 11, so it takes a while for it to compensate.

Personally playing with letoff isn't a speed thing, its a shoot ability thing. High letoff usually equals inconsistent tuning, and less consistent shooting. There is a balance between mass weight of the bow and the holding weight of the bow. If the bow weighs a lot, but you have low holding weight... its going to be difficult to keep on target. Usually I'm looking for a poundage number not a % number. I like 13ish pounds of holding weight, but I'm shooting 15# right now on my Mach 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                For most hunting bows lowering letoff will not really affect speed, and in fact will lower it. It seems counterintuitive, but it is because the way adjustable letoff is accomplished on a lot of hunting bows. Mod specific letoffs (think Mathews) can provide minor speed increases, but its so small when changing 5-10% its within the error of most chronos. If a bow doesn't use mods to control letoff (think PSE, Hoyt, etc) then lowering letoff also shortens draw length, which actually minutely decreases speed. If the draw length were to remain the same, the lower letoff would provide a small speed increase, or moderate depending on the swing. The consequence of shortening DL to accomplish the letoff is that you also lose your valley. It can make for a "jump" or "twitchy" bow. On a PSE with the new gen Evolve cams if you switch to the Low Letoff mods on say a EC cam, you'll get 6-8fps. In the grand scheme not a ton, but people change gear up for less. Also note letoff changes take a while to get used to, if you're used to holding 8, and you go to 15... even if the bow has lots of valley its gonna feel twitchy.... because your body is thoroughly trained to hold 11, so it takes a while for it to compensate.

Personally playing with letoff isn't a speed thing, its a shoot ability thing. High letoff usually equals inconsistent tuning, and less consistent shooting. There is a balance between mass weight of the bow and the holding weight of the bow. If the bow weighs a lot, but you have low holding weight... its going to be difficult to keep on target. Usually I'm looking for a poundage number not a % number. I like 13ish pounds of holding weight, but I'm shooting 15# right now on my Mach 30.
                thats more of what i was looking for and confirmation.... they should be coming in soon and I have a whole year to get used to them.... thinking shouldnt be a giant hurdle when coming from an rx4 @ 87lbs to a phase 4 at 75 lbs should be a breeze... just wanting to really work on form/repeatability and tighten my groups up as much as i possibly can during the offseason

Comment

All else being equal, does a high let off bow need a stiffer spine arrow or a weaker spine arrow compared to a low let off bow?

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                    All else being equal, does a high let off bow need a stiffer spine arrow or a weaker spine arrow compared to a low let off bow?
                    Will end up being the same most likely, if anything changes the spine, it won't be the letoff it will be the DL change between the two. That is unlikely though as you're talking maybe 1/8"? The easiest way to think about it is that on a stop adjustable letoff... a high letoff travels "through" the low letoff position. So if your bow has 80% and 85% settings, and you set it to 85%, you're actually pulling past the 80% to the 85%. So whatever force the 80% applies is present with both settings. This is why on bows with removable stops if you forget to re-install them after an adjustment you can reach infinite letoff

Comment

And infinite letoff isn’t a good thing (lockup). When working on an Elite I was always worried about the draw stops, but I never forgot them.

Comment

Working...
                      X