Mach 30 DS Long Term Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mach 30 DS Long Term Review

I picked up my Mach 30 DS in early December from CCR, but I had to wait a few weeks before I could really shoot it a whole lot as I needed the shim kit to tune. My initial impression of the bow when I bought it was light, smooth, and felt comfortable at full draw. It seemed pretty torque resistant as well.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bow-beauty.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	26697183

Once I received the shim kit I was able to get the tune I wanted with going one set to the left using the 140/80 shims top and bottom. This result in a fletched bullet hole at 6-15' and a bare shaft bullet hole from 6-21'. The rest is set right down the middle of the limb bolts. After that I checked a few broadheads and everything looked good. The bow's specs were set to 71#, 27 3/4" DL (28 mod setting at 85% letoff). I have not had a chance to run it through a chrono. The tuning process was greatly simplified by the EZ220 shims. I think it is my favorite system at this point, even above BT Deadlock. The shelf cutout has ample room, and with the rest set at 13/16" I can fit a Simmons Tiger Shark laid parallel to the ground clearing the riser. I also like the adjustability of the EC2 cam system. 3 Letoff settings, rotating draw mod, and 2 other optional mods. I ended up buying a set of Low Letoff mods as well. I tried them, and on max letoff (75% slot) they came in about 20#/72%. That will take some working up to, there was plenty of valley, but I'm just not in the shape to hold that weight. I appreciate having all the options though. One thing I hadn't planned on was needing adapters for my press (LCA EZ-Green). While you can press it enough to do shims without the adapters... its pretty sketchy. The adapters are awesome and make it a very easy and comfortable process, and also makes full takdowns of all bows easier.

I've only had the opportunity to shoot it out to 40 yards, but to that distance I feel no difference between in and my longer ATA bows in terms of forgiveness. It sounds dumb I know, but for me, it really doesn't feel like a short bow. The 85% letoff on the stops came in right at 82%/13#. That's a very comfortable hunting setup for me with a decent valley. For TAC this spring I'll be shooting it in the 80% slot, which comes in about 79%/15#. That holding weight combined with a light bow, makes it hold very well for me. The sight picture is different, in that due to the weight it moves faster, but to me it also means it comes back on target faster when it wanders off. Shooting in the wind there's less "overswing" when bringing the bow back to the middle after a gust. Another attractive aspect of the bow to me was the easy draw. I wanted a bow that if I had time on a Saturday I could put 250 arrows through it, and not be overly sore at the end. The most I've had time to put through it in a single session is 208, but everything felt good.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	group.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.2 KB ID:	26697177

I've taken it on two hunting trips so far, and it is sitting at 100% success having brought down 3 hogs, one being 213#. The full rig is definitely more comfortable to carry around, and it will be nice with my style of hunting. I didn't realize PSE had integrated QD attachment points for a sling until recently, and I'm going to be a big fan of that! Will be nice to have sling on while covering ground fast, and then drop it in a few seconds before closing the final distance. I was able to get a $10 QD sling off Amazon which was much more affordable than buying another Jakt sling like I used last year.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	big-sow.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.6 KB ID:	26697173 Click image for larger version  Name:	pigone.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.9 KB ID:	26697178 Click image for larger version  Name:	pig2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	244.3 KB ID:	26697179

The strings have been solid. I put about 200 shots through them while waiting on the shim kit. My peep and specs haven't changed since that time. I have two "negatives" so far. Number one was the lower dampener it comes with, comes apart easily. I lost it my first hunting trip unawares, I think it got snagged when I was climbing out of a ladder stand and the bow was slung on my back. I was able to find it next trip at the base of the tree, but that's why a couple of these pictures have a Hoyt lower dampener on the bow . The second negative was I've already had one of the rubber inserts come out of a draw stop. I replaced the stops with TAP stops today with felt to not have the issue again. I will note for others that in terms of size the factory stops on the Mach 30 are pretty much the same size as the TAP stops.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	lost-dampener.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	26697176

I have two sights I'm running on it currently, one is my Landslyde/UV3 combo picatinny that I'm using for my 3d/TAC setup, and the other is my dovetail Accutouch for hunting. Works out pretty well, takes a minute to swtich them out. The arrows for each are the same spine and both tune fine, so I can switch "modes" easily and I'm curious how it does at TAC vs my Z1S last year.

​​
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Loneaggie; 01-19-2024, 03:11 PM.

Nice write-up - Its a great looking bow. I want to get a chance to try one, but so far the shops around me do not carry them. Did you shoot other top end bows from other manufacturers before you made your choice? What made you decide on the PSE?

Comment

Originally posted by stickfigure View Post
      Nice write-up - Its a great looking bow. I want to get a chance to try one, but so far the shops around me do not carry them. Did you shoot other top end bows from other manufacturers before you made your choice? What made you decide on the PSE?
      This year I tested the Hoyt Alpha X, Hoyt RX 8, and Mathews Lift.

In the past I have owned: Prime Inline and Nexus, Hoyt Z1S, Mathews Vertix, Bowtech Reckoning and Revolt X.

As years go by each year I'm usually looking for something specific. This year I wanted to try carbon and try a shorter axle-to-axle bow as my last couple have been 33-35". I liked the RX8, but I felt the Mach 30 had a slightly better draw cycle for me. I decided on the PSE because 1. its the ONLY carbon bow made 100$%i n the USA, 2. it felt really good for me at my DL, felt just as forgiving as anything else I've ever shot, 3. I liked the tuning approaches on it: EZ220 shims, micro-tunable yokes, 3 let-off adjustments, and low letoff & fast mods available to try.

The Lift is a solid bow, but draw/sound wise I felt like they took a step backwards. The Hoyts were very tempting, but the PSE draw cycle was significantly more comfortable for me. Also I had already seen a couple of reviews confirming the Mach 30 was making decent speeds close to my DL. I'm a brand nomad, and there's so many good choices out there.

Comment

It looks like you shot it against all the ones I would have wanted to try it against. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on it, as you continue to hunt / shoot it.

Comment

Awesome looking rig and thanks for the fantastic review!

Comment

Working...
          X