How long do carbon arrows last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do carbon arrows last?

I've got a bunch of arrows that have been kept indoors but are pushing 20 years old. I'm deciding whether to throw them away or give them away. I flexed a couple and they seem OK. What do y'all think? They are Carbon Express Line Jammer 350's cut 28 inches long.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20231108_094529.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	26633899

If they spine right, shoot em

Comment

This is a great question that I haven’t seen a truly definitive answer for. One could assume that carbon arrows do have a lifespan of some kind. I have a couple FMJs that are 15 years old and likely have 2-3000 shots on them.

Comment

As long as they are not discolored, stored out of the weather, and flex test ok, they should be good to shoot.

I know where one CX is that has been sitting out in the weather for several years. The Floresent red veins I built on it are now clear. I'd never shoot that one again !

Comment

I picked up my Mathews Q2 and sharted shooting it again. Arrows and the bow have to be about 25 to 30 years old. They dont' seem to have any issues.

Comment

I flexed some more of them and a few snapped pretty easy. I trashed them all.

Comment

flex test them. all that could happen is to warp in some way or de-laminate..

Comment

giving them away could be a generous option if they meet safety standards. However, safety should be the top priority, so discard any arrows that show signs of structural compromise.
                Last edited by jarthore; 11-30-2023, 04:10 AM.

Comment

giving them away could be a generous option if they meet safety standards. However, safety should be the top priority, so discard any arrows that show signs of structural compromise.
                  Last edited by jarthore; 11-30-2023, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Last edited by jarthore; 11-30-2023, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Arrows are too cheap to risk blasting one through your arm. When in doubt, pitch em.

Comment

I think the best will be to throw them away, even if they are in good condition I don't think it's a good sign to give them away without being sure of their safety

Comment

Working...
                        X