Nilgai Arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai Arrow

I did a search on this, but I have some new questions after watching the Meat Eater episode where Yannis stuck a nilgai bull. I have a feeling I am overthinking this but here is my dilemma:

I got drawn for the Exotic Archery hunt on the LANWR in December. Having zero experience on nilgai or any animal of that size, I am debating on changing up my arrow slightly. I'd love to hear the advice from those who have experience with these animals.

Current set-up:
    Mathews V3X-33
    70lb.
    29.5"
    Easton Hexx 260 at 30"
    125gr. insert
    100gr. QAD Exodus
    TAW 545gr. with 17%FOC
    This is shooting lights for me out to 50 (farthest I have tried to shoot) and I have a lot of confidence in it.

I am tempted to buy the Iron Will 150gr single bevel heads to give me a 495-500gr. TAW with 19.5%FOC. This is solely because I am worried I won't have enough penetration.

Thoughts? Am I overthinking this?

I’m going on the archery hunt down there in November. I’m running lighter than you, gonna be using an iron will solid, or a wide if the shot is close “40 and in”. I’m running 460 gr in the 290’s. My shop owner has guided a bunch of nilgai and said my setup will work; just stay out of bone (obvious). Whole different critter all together, but I shot my bison with a wide and a solid with the same arrow and the arrows went 30 yards past her

your setup, I’d leave it alone. If anything you can get some 100 gr iron wills, wide or solid or single bevel and get after it

Comment

Setup is fine.

Ive been shooting Iron Will Wide for two years and they are nasty.

Comment

Idk if it worked for you or not but a couple of years ago I had 495 grain set up.

HOYT Ventum 33 80lbs
        30 in draw
        Black eagle rampage 250
        25 grain IW HIIT insert
        10 grain titanium collar
        100 grain sevr

Hit a cow Nilgai way back in the guts because she took a step at 50 yards. Arrow buried all the way in, could barely see fletchjngs sticking out. Had I made a better shot I believe it would’ve been a full pass through. I know I shoot 80 lbs but because of that I have issues with correct spine so I can’t put a lot of weight up front. Have had zero issues with penetration. Also the arrow speed is 307 so the only fixed blades that fly ok for my are the stinger black hornets. I think that setup is just fine at 15%. Hope it worked out well!

Comment

Working...
        X