Pressing my old Mathews Q2 back into service....Need Arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressing my old Mathews Q2 back into service....Need Arrows

To hunt a friends place, I'll need to use my compound as it's a pop-up blind and on the short side for my recurves. I need new arrows as I'll need to dial it down from 65# to an "old man" weight of 53#. I put new strings on it recently so no concern there on this 2001 bow.

Arrows will be 29" long, 100 gr broadheads, 53#, mechancial release. It's a 70% let off bow.

Charts are showing 350 to 400 spine. I'm thinking 400. That sound about right?

Note that my bow set-up uses a 2-prong rest with the cock fletch pointed straight down. I'm not sure 350 vs. 400 will make much difference since the arrow doesn't shoot around the bow, as with a recurve. Is that correct?
    Last edited by SJP51; 10-08-2023, 04:45 PM.

If you’re between spines, I always like to go stiffer. But sounds like you’re in the right ballpark.

Comment

I'm shooting 29" 400 spine with about same poundage

Comment

Thaks for the reply's.

The bow is set-up dead on the Q2's solocam specs, incluidng the yoke adjustment for no idler wheel lean at full draw, perfect on cam rotation, ATA, rest is on-center at 13/16", and brace height. The fletched arrows are zipping right out there.

So the 400's are now 29.5" long and bare shaft tuning shows them as weak. At 10-yards nock left and impact to the right of the fletched arrow. I really don't want to go shorter than 29 1/4" to keep the BH away from my fingers. I don't think another 1/4" shorter is going to be enough to fix the bare shaft tune but I'll check it tomorrow night if time allows.

I know how to tune up a trad bow, but not so much about compounds.

So, should I go with 350 spines, or play around with moving the rest?
        Last edited by SJP51; 10-25-2023, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I don't see 400's being weak spine with 53# draw weight.

Comment

So move the rest a tad?

Comment

Working...
            X