Tenpoint Nitro 505 vs. The Raven 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenpoint Nitro 505 vs. The Raven 500

I have an older Tenpoint Titan crossbow that shoots areoung 300 fps. It's accurate, but needs to be restrung. I've been thinking about getting either a Tenpoint Nitro 505 or Raven 500. I lean toward the Nitro since I have a Tenpoint the can use the same bolts (must be the new bolts). May upgrade to the Burris Oracle range finding scope if I get the Niro or Ravin. I'd like to hear anyone's feedback on their experience with a Tenpoint Nitro 505 or Ravin 500.

I own a Ravin R29X. Don't think I'd get a R500 just because they are so finicky. And I don't plan to hunt grizz or moose anytime soon. From what I've read on those who own them, they don't plan to shoot them regularly. Just hunt mostly. I have to keep on top of my R29X. It's like a high maintenance woman. If it sits strung to long, cables stretch. And a set of Ravin string and cables are not cheap. So, in the off season, I just unstring it and save on the cables and string. The R500 I'm sure is no different. I do have the Ravin press. And tune my own.

The good side to my Ravin, Excellent accuracy for target shooting! I'm shooting standard Ravin 400 bolts. But removed the standard non lighted nocks. And replaced them with Ravin lighted nocks. That bumped my over all bolt weight up. So to counter the increased rear weight, and keep the FOC close to factory spec, I shoot 125gr heads. This gives me a total bolt weight of 438-439grs. And a bolt speed of 441-443 fps through my chronograph. That's a lot more energy than the 400gr bolts. Plus, with the increased weight, holds true on target better. And most of all, doesn't' void the warranty!

I'm sure you could do the same with the R500 bolts, if the nocks will hold up to the force. Not sure whether they will or not. And don't want to find out. I'm going to wait on the R500 and see how much more development it gets. And if certain issues are resolved.

I also recently bought the Oracle. But have not mounted it yet on the R29X. The 1-8x Sniper scope that came with the Sniper package I bought was great, until the paint started flaking on the inside and sticking to the front objective. It had everything I wanted in a scope except a dial turret, so I could get rid of the jack-plate. And lighten up the whole rig. They now offer such a scope with a dial turret in the 1-8x. But I don't trust it after my first experience. So I just ordered the Oracle. Oracle is about 4 oz heavier than the scope with the jack plate. But looks to be a better option. We will see, pun intended.
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-17-2023, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I have a ten point vapor 470, similar to the 505. I went from a fx4 stealth.
      I can give you some things to think about, my experiences with them both, pros/cons and compare them to the newer 505 from what I can tell in the pics.

reverse draw are different. Wyvern creations did a video, on accuracy. You need to provide downward pressure on front when shooting from a rest. This is a night and day difference in accuracy.

the 470 scope rail can wiggle when pressure is applied. The 505 has a scope brace to stop this.

the newer draw systems with the high speed/heavier draw are harder on bow. The dry fire mechanism on the new bows will actualy still cause some minimAl damage and require a catch pin to bend.
      the older style bows, fx4/turbo, titan had a very good dry fire system. It wouldn’t cause any damage. I know, it happens sometimes.

The arrow hangs out a little farther or the front end is shorter than the older bows. I snag to top a lot walking in thicker trees/brush with my 470. I think the 505 is the same way.

draw/uncock mechanism is great, once you get the hangs of it. The little handle will try to come out if not careful, catches my pants when walking through woods. I just put it in my bag for safe keeping.

i believe tenpoint started putting a thicker string on the new bows, the 470 did not get it. I’m not sure on the 505

I know the 460 flatline is a newer bow, not what you asked about but has a lot of the upgrades/improvements from the 470. It’s compact to. You may want to check it out.

i got my 470 on sale at midway for about 1700-1800$, so didn’t pay the 3000$ they originally cost, or would have been more ****** with the issues I stated.

you may look around, check out reviews on crossbow nation.

if you want pm me, and I can try to call you if you have more questions.

Comment

I am using the proelite scope (I think). I can shoot out to 60hrs, and hit within 4” circle. I didn’t try for groups, just wanted to see how the speed ring lined up. It did well.

Given their is a scope rail brace, the range finding scopes may be ok, I would worry about flex from
        the weight on the bows without the brace. This is my concern, not anything I read.

the trigger is better than the ones on the older bows titan, turbo xlt, stealth. My brother has a turbo xlt.

Comment

Working...
        X