How well do fetchings adhere to paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How well do fetchings adhere to paint?

Instead of wrapping my arrows, I decided to paint the crest on. Some paint has already started to flake and I'm worried that when I fletch, the glue will not adhere to the arrow, but to the paint. If it peels off, then the fetching will fall off. I'm fletching with feathers and trad vanes. I'd rather not do all that work and waste the materials if I've already screwed up. Any advice would be helpful.

Some glues work with some paints. Some not. I use lacquer and Bohning Platinum Plus glue for both feathers and blazers. It will eat through the laquer. So use sparingly on the fletch. Make sure fletches are fully dry before removing the clamp. Also, acetone the shafts before paint. Do not touch the area to be painted with your fingers. And make sure they are fully dry before paint. After a while of doing this, I was able to do fades in and out, blood rings, and all kinds of stuff with the paint. Once the lacquer is on, other paint types can be used over it in the non fletch areas. If you want to do a two color in the fletch area, use lacquer. The paint weighs less than a wrap, most of the time.

An old member here did some instructional vids on this 20 years ago. His name on here was Cotton.

I just did this again, several new shafts, a week ago. But have been doing this for a very long time.
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-02-2023, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X