Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peep Sights Driving Me Crazy

Calling you tuning gurus!

I have my Hoyt RX4 Ultra tuned with a new Catfish Customs string. It already has nearly 300 arrows on the string. The draw length is micro tuned to be in the best holding spot for me. Trying to install a peep, but the dang thing will not sit straight! Everyone says a good string won't have peep twist, and I believe them. But I can't get the dadgum thing to be lined up in the first place! Please help me understand how to get a peep set at the right height, and with the right alignment so it actually points straight at full draw. I have been exploring shooting without a peep at all cause this crap is just infuriating me!

HELP!

What material were your strings made from? And always check your d-loop to make sure it's aligned with the peep. So when you draw, the peep is rotated the correct direction.

Comment

Vec99

Comment

Has your A2A to spec? Or getting longer?

Comment

I haven't measured ATA once I got the draw length fine tuned. I used a combination of string and cable twists to do that while bringing the paper tune into line.

The issue is the initial line of the peep. Not that it's twisting as I shoot.

Comment

Add or remove a twist to the string, may need to try top and bottom and as TG said, dloop needs to align properly and ten tighten dloop.

Comment

I should have clarified. I did the whole string twist game, and it didn't work. Possibly my D loop alignment was off though. I found some serving separation going on, so I will redo that and see if I can walk this into alignment once that's not a moving target.

Comment

Without a press your options are limited. Not sure if you said you had one or not.

I always prefer to press the bow and add twists til its straight.

I always add twists since the strings are coming unwound. Adding twists from the bottom cam seems to make larger adjustments than the top.

To clarify, I don’t like adding more than 1-1 1/2 twists. You can open Pandora’s box real easy adding too many.

Is it served in yet? If not, when you put serving above and below the peep, it will put pressure and twist the string as well.

A lot of times you may find once you put twists in you have to cut the peep out and flip it, which is why I usually don’t serve mine in until the strings have settled. I just tie a string around the peep itself until I’m certain it’s where I want it.

As a last ditch effort, you can take a small piece of serving and put it in between your string fibers above the peep. You’ll need a press for it. If you don’t have a press, cut the serving above the peep and insert the small portion so it goes in between the two color strands. Tie it in a half hitch or burn the ends so they don’t fray too much, but with that serving between your two strings, you can move it up and down your string and it will manipulate your peep.

It’s not ideal, but it’s an emergency type item that can get you through in a pinch. It also works to manipulate the peep til the strings settle.​

Comment

Are you using a two-part string and peep or a three-part string and peep? I've used both and with both types, and all kinds of different levels of strings, I've had to adjust my d-loop position even after breaking in the string. With either style peep, when I notice it off at full-draw, I look to see about how much and rotate my d-loop that many degrees with the peep (i.e. if the peep is off 20deg right, I rotate my d-loop 20deg right) to pull it in to being aligned. Even with the three-part string versions, I have rotated my d-loop to get the string parts as much to the side, vs in the middle of my sight line/vision, as I can. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                    I haven't measured ATA once I got the draw length fine tuned. I used a combination of string and cable twists to do that while bringing the paper tune into line.

The issue is the initial line of the peep. Not that it's twisting as I shoot.
                    Are you saying the peep is misaligned at rest but OK at full draw? And you want it correctly aligned at both positions?

Comment

No, I'm saying it isn't shifting due to string stretch. It just won't line up right at full draw. I eventually did something with my reserving and retying my dloop (I don't know what) and it's lined up now.

Comment

I've been having a similar struggle. I finally built a DIY bow press and have it almost perfect now after 1/2 twist to the string top and bottom. It is still slightly off, so I think I'm going to go another 1/2 twist on top and see if that does it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                          I've been having a similar struggle. I finally built a DIY bow press and have it almost perfect now after 1/2 twist to the string top and bottom. It is still slightly off, so I think I'm going to go another 1/2 twist on top and see if that does it.
                          I did another half twist on bottom, as I measured ATA and it was ever so slightly short, so twisting on this side added 1/2 a twist instead of untwisting. Just about perfect now and no noticeable change to ata or impact.

Comment

Working...
                          X