Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fletch contact on drop away (not like you think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fletch contact on drop away (not like you think)

See attached pictures of the fletch residue being left on the base of the rest. I recently switched to the Iron will vanes, which are higher profile, but it was happening with my old vanes as well. I recently re-timed the qad to make sure it it coming vertical in the last inch of draw. It looks like the contact is happening with the rest fully down.
    Is it because I am shooting 4 fletch and there is less space between the two bottom vanes? Pics included to get an idea of clearance. In one of them I held the arrow in place after I dropped the rest.

I am still getting good accuracy out to 100 and im getting a bullet hole in paper, but I can't imagine it not having some impact.

Comment

Fixed it. It was indeed arrow rotating that early. If shot in the conventional X orientation, the bottom right fletch contacts on the outside of bottom right vane. Rotated some and it contacted on inside of bottom left vane. Split the difference and got no contact. Used lipstick on rest.

Comment

Nice. Glad you got it figured out. Definitely tight tolerances there.

Comment

with four fletches you can get away with much shorter as well. Glad you got it dialed in!

Comment

Roughly how many degrees of rotation are you getting on the arrow travel from brace height to when the nock is clearing the rest?

It can’t be much because the arrow doesn’t start rotating for a few inches after the nock separates from the string. In some of the high speed YouTube videos I’ve seen, it doesn’t look like the arrow starts rotating until several inches of arrow nock travel past the riser. I’m curious if using very stiff fletching might impart spin early in the arrow travel and this causes your impact issue? And 4-fletch makes it worse.

You might not see the same impact with a less-stiff 4 fletch with low profiles, but the trade off is less arrow spin and maybe less accuracy (or maybe more in a cross-wind?). I’ve avoided using Blazer-type vanes for this reason but never really tested it.

Comment

Working...
            X