Cool flex glued inserts coming out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool flex glued inserts coming out?

Last summer I attempted to make my first dozen arrows for myself. I used beman ics hunter pro shafts with Easton CB brass 75 grain inserts and AAE max vanes. I shoot 125 grain broadheads and have 125 grain field points to match. Learned a lot in the process, some came out alright, others failed...

The main problem I had is that whenever I shot the arrows for the first time into a foam target, the inserts would come out of the shaft. Either the arrow tip would fully penetrate through the target and the insert and point would fly out once the arrow came to a stop. Or if it was a thicker target and the arrow didnt go all the way through, the insert and point would be stuck in the target when I pulled the arrow out. I had about 6 arrows that this did not happen on out of a dozen, so I hunted with those good ones all of last season. Shot through a couple deer and hogs with them and they were fine.

This summer, I decided to fix the arrows that the inserts flew out of. Researching the beman shafts I found out they have a coating on the inside. So I took a wire bore cleaner brush for my .270 and reamed out the coating until I was getting down to the carbon, then lightly sanded with some 120 grit sandpaper. After that, I cleaned the inside from the coating/carbon residue with soapy water, followed by clean water rinse, then a alcohol-based wipe that was in the AAE fletching kit I got. I used Bohning Ferr-L Tite Cool Flex (the blue stick) for the insert glue. Held insert over flame until it was hot enough to melt the glue all around it, inserted into the cleaned out arrow shafts with a twist, then dunked the arrow tip in cold water.

I thought surely that would fix it, NOPE. Tried shooting those arrows and after a couple shots, inserts were coming out again. The only thing I can think of is the glue is called "cool-flex" for a reason, and has a low melting point. In a texas summer, the arrows are just as hot as it is outside (110-deg on this day) and the glue is not melting all the way, but loosing up enough to not keep a good hold on the inserts. The manufacturer's temperature table seems to point to this direction. I assume I didnt have problems with the few good arrows I made during hunting season because it was colder outside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	177
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	26559352
    I am curious if anyone else has had this issue with the cool-flex glue or if its something else Im doing wrong?

What insert glue do y'all use? ​​

I had the insert coming out with a few glues. Started using the AAE fast gel. And haven't had one come out since.

Comment

I play hokey pokey with inserts so I use regular hot gun glue and my shafts live in the garage. Whereas Im shooting longbow and my speeds are way less impactful than yours.

I dont dunk or ream. Just qtip alcohol clean inside, let dry, partial insertion of insert, melt, twist, let sit.

I use the same Beman ICS hunter shafts with inserts and hobby glue for a Darton 3800 compound but thats been a couple years…whereas I had no problem then.

Good skilling MrKev.

Comment

Only hot melt that's been consistent for me is the Kimsha hot melt. It works great until you put that arrow in the target 20-30 times on a summer afternoon. Even then it usually just starts pulling a little.

Comment

Thanks for the input y'all! I think I am going to try some of the gel glue. Looking at the specs for hot melt, even it isnt solid at 110-deg. Just not good for practicing in the summer down here in the ol inferno

Comment

I tried cool melt once and didn’t like it.

I use AAE 2-Part Epoxy.

Comment

I do what you did for the second go around but use Bob Smith ICS 2000. It is better for impacts since it has a rubber component. A bow shop put me onto that, and I've never had a problem with my hunting arrows.
              I only use melt for target points.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                I do what you did for the second go around but use Bob Smith ICS 2000. It is better for impacts since it has a rubber component. A bow shop put me onto that, and I've never had a problem with my hunting arrows.
                I only use melt for target points.
                Having the rubber in it makes a lot of sense, thanks for the tip

Comment

I usually hate hot melt, but if you want a removable option, Infinity Tough Guy sticks from Hotmelt have been the best I’ve found.

I shoot micro shafts with outserts. Not a matter of IF they will bend, but when. The infinity tough has to get significantly hotter, and it does have a rubberized component since you can take one of the sticks and bend it without it snapping off.

Comment

I ended up getting a tube of the AAE max impact gel and put it on 4 arrows. Seems like its super glue but it does have a rubber component. Shot each arrow about a dozen times this past weekend and the inserts were rock solid.

Comment

Working...
                    X