Climbing Large Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climbing Large Trees

I have a large diameter (2-3' so 9-10 foot circumference) tree I'd like to get a stand in. Planning to use climbing sticks but the included straps are too short. Does anyone know where to get longer straps? Has anyone used a standard ratchet strap in this situation?

Thanks!

Standard ratchet strap should work no prob

Comment

Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart. I've got sticks on BIG cottonwoods in KS. It takes a little athleticism to sling it around a big tree and catch it, but then, I'm a stud! LOL

Comment

depending on just how big the tree is, it can be much easier to hold the strap and hand the stick around. Probably pretty obvious but I've spent a lot of time hugging a tree and trying to throw a strap around before figuring out it works better to just hold one end of the stick and pass that around.

Comment

If you’re talking permanent stuff, a ratchet strap is probably the best.

If mobile, there’s ways to do away with the cam buckle and tie off to the versa button on the stick. I replaced the rope my muddy pro sticks had with full bury 1/4 amsteel and it bites in the cam cleat just fine, but I still half hitch on the opposite side.

You can also get climbing spec rated rope at REI. It’s a heck of a lot stronger than the ratchet strap is rated for.

Comment

I’ve got 9’ amsteel on mine and I can go up a tree bigger than you would want to hunt. Attaching stand becomes issue then

Comment

I have the same as Low Fence and climbing wasnt the issue. Once all my sticks were hung I realized my platform strap wasnt near long enough.

Comment

Working...
              X