Budget Friendly Range Finder (<$275)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget Friendly Range Finder (<$275)

Looking to update my old outdated Halo that I don't really have much faith in. Looking in the sub $250-275 range. Predominantly will use from archery with some mixed in rifle hunting, all sub 300 yard distances. I'm leaning towards a Vortex largely in part of their lifetime warranty. The leupold's seem to get hit fairly hard with unfavorable reviews of random shut downs. I see Sig's mentioned all the time but no one really mentions exactly which Kilo they're running. Bushnell Prime's seem to get strong reviews on the interwebs but I don't know if those are real life reviews or paid reviews. Not opposed to Halo's either just haven't dug into them much.

So what says the green screen on their range finder of choice?

bump for some real world reviews

Comment

I have a Leupold RX-something or another. I've had it 6 years now. It is still on the same battery (and shows full), never failed, and has taken a beating elk hunting out west. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, and I am pretty sure they have a similar warranty to Vortex.

I see the RX-1400 is in your price range, and if you want one with TBR, Amazon still has them for under $200. That would be the route I would go personally, but I have all Vortex optics, and I don't think you can go wrong with them either. I just don't know much about their optics, and generally try to buy American made gear wherever I can. Leupold so far has only outsourced binos to Japan and China, where as Vortex makes most, if not all, of their stuff in third world countries with zero environmental regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        I have a Leupold RX-something or another. I've had it 6 years now. It is still on the same battery (and shows full), never failed, and has taken a beating elk hunting out west. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, and I am pretty sure they have a similar warranty to Vortex.

I see the RX-1400 is in your price range, and if you want one with TBR, Amazon still has them for under $200. That would be the route I would go personally, but I have all Vortex optics, and I don't think you can go wrong with them either. I just don't know much about their optics, and generally try to buy American made gear wherever I can. Leupold so far has only outsourced binos to Japan and China, where as Vortex makes most, if not all, of their stuff in third world countries with zero environmental regulations.
        Thanks for the advice!!

Comment

Leupold's warranty on electronics is 2 years per their website with a "limited guarantee". While Leupold makes a lot of their scopes stateside, everything I've seen and per the dealers I've asked, their rangefinders are chinese as well. They used to have it under their FAQ on the Leupold website. Up until a few years ago, Leupold was about the only rangefinder that you could get to reliably range a black, non-reflective 3d target.

I could destroy an anvil with a feather, so I keep a vortex ranger 100 as a backup. Far as I know, SIG and Vortex are the only ones with lifetime warranties on rangefinders. The ranger is older, slow, and I hate having to click it twice but its stayed waterproof for a long time. A buddy of mine has a first generation KILO and he loves his.

Of the 3 I currently have, I prefer my Hawke Endurance 700 between it, the vortex, and a Sig buckmasters. You can find them online for around $200-250. The Sig is the fastest, but it's not waterproof. But it's also inexpensive enough that if I lend it out I'm not out much. The Hawke is faster than the vortex, but it's held up well for 3 years, being rained on, etc.

Supposedly the new vortex are faster. I haven't had any experience with the newer crossfire which is their budget option but I've heard good things.

Warranties are great and all until you're on the hunt of a lifetime, then its about as useful as a Rolex on a desert island.
          Last edited by Kirby86; 08-08-2023, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
            Leupold's warranty on electronics is 2 years per their website with a "limited guarantee". While Leupold makes a lot of their scopes stateside, everything I've seen and per the dealers I've asked, their rangefinders are chinese as well. They used to have it under their FAQ on the Leupold website. Up until a few years ago, Leupold was about the only rangefinder that you could get to reliably range a black, non-reflective 3d target.

I could destroy an anvil with a feather, so I keep a vortex ranger 100 as a backup. Far as I know, SIG and Vortex are the only ones with lifetime warranties on rangefinders. The ranger is older, slow, and I hate having to click it twice but its stayed waterproof for a long time. A buddy of mine has a first generation KILO and he loves his.

Of the 3 I currently have, I prefer my Hawke Endurance 700 between it, the vortex, and a Sig buckmasters. You can find them online for around $200-250. The Sig is the fastest, but it's not waterproof. But it's also inexpensive enough that if I lend it out I'm not out much. The Hawke is faster than the vortex, but it's held up well for 3 years, being rained on, etc.

Supposedly the new vortex are faster. I haven't had any experience with the newer crossfire which is their budget option but I've heard good things.

Warranties are great and all until you're on the hunt of a lifetime, then its about as useful as a Rolex on a desert island.
            Awesome info, thanks! I'll look at the Hawke as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post

Ahh man, good info. And thanks for ruining my opinion of Leupold! Just kidding, I've had mine 6 years, no issues. But if I need to buy a new one, will definitely be factored in.

Comment

Working...
              X