Need help with rubber hunting boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with rubber hunting boots

Hey guys, I'm wanting to get some rubber boots. I've never had any quality type just the cheapo's from Academy, WM, etc. My questions are I want a good boot but don't know how much insulation to get. I want a all purpose type so I can wear early season (warm) and late season when colder. I know i can adjust with proper socks etc. but don't want to be one extreme or the other in different climate situations. I'm leaning towards the Lacrosse mudlite, Irish setter, or mudsox in 800 thinsulate. Will these be too warm in early season? If you use a certain brand and like them, let me know. Thanks

i have the regular ol' green lacrosse boots that i wear during warm weather, and i have some 1200 thinsulate i wear for cold weather. Imo i couldn't wear 800 in warm weather
    Last edited by Destry; 11-04-2011, 09:56 AM.

Comment

x2 I couldn't wear thinsulate in warm weather. I have the plain green Lacrosse too. I ware those year round.

Comment

Thanks, kind of what I was thinking, my feet sweat pretty bad anyway. Will stay with the cheap ones for early bow season. Is the 800 enough for cold weather, ie. in Texas, 30-40deg.?

Comment

I have muck boots and for three years they have held up. Bought a pair of Lacrosse and returned them because they cracked three days after I bought them.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
            Is the 800 enough for cold weather, ie. in Texas, 30-40deg.?
            I bought the 1200 because if my feet get cold, i'll be ready to go

Comment

Yeah, no joke, same here!

Comment

For years I have used the Alpha Burley Sports. For my feet they are the best on the market

Comment

oh yeah!
                  Originally posted by keep View Post
                  For years I have used the Alpha Burley Sports. For my feet they are the best on the market

Comment

I thought about getting the regular rubber boots along with some wool socks and some of the Arctic Shield boot insulators.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro1970 View Post
                      I thought about getting the regular rubber boots along with some wool socks and some of the Arctic Shield boot insulators.
                      Smart wool socks and sock liners

Comment

Smart Wool is some darn good stuff. When I used to ride road bikes year round (bicycles) Smart Wool were always on my feet. Try ride-n when it's 38 out and with a 15-20 mph head wind . And yes, I've had water bottles freeze .

I'm also a current owner of two pairs of Lacross Alpha Burly Sports with 800 grams of Thinselate. Bought a second pair after the first developed a crack from rolling down the neoprene tops in warmer weather. Had those for 7 years before they cracked though. If my toes get cold, I'm done for. So it's very important to me to keep those warm. Had them frost bit once! When its gets really cool out, I wait till I get to where I'm gonna hunt and slip in some foot heaters under my toes too.

My chest waders have 1600 grams of Thinselate in the boots. They keep my feet pretty dry, and warm. Haven't had to use foot warmers in those yet, despite hunting a frozen over Lake Whitney/Brazos River two years ago with bowhuntntoona . We had to break a chunk of ice 50 yards across by 45 yards deep so we could place dequees out. Didn't have any trouble getting birds into that only "open pocket" of water .
                        Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-05-2011, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I have the Irish Setters and love them. They have been perfectly fine during the warm weather. The other morning it was 31 out. I had on one pair of boot socks and my feet didn't get cold.

Comment

I Love my muck boots. They are warm enough during the winters (with proper socks), and they will fold down so they are not hot during the summers.

Comment

Love my lacrosse boots. I bought the uninsulated ones seven years ago and have never had and issue. All I do is wear neoprene liners in winter and they are great.

Comment

Working...
                              X