Broadhead tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadhead tuning?

I've never had this issue before. I'm guessing my rest moved sometime. My bow shoots lights out with field points. I threw my g5 practice broadheads on this afternoon and they all shoot consistantly 3 inches left and one inch high at only 20 yards. Thus bow is 3 for 3, never had an animal go more than 40 yards with the montecs.
    So. What exactly is wrong? Might have to take the bow in tomorrow, leaving for my opening weekend tomorrow night

Gotta broadhead tune your bow.....

Comment

I have had the same issue before. My broadheads shot diffrent. Mine were shooting two inches to the right at 20 yards. I was advised I would have to move my sight to adjust for the broadhead. I switched to mechanical broadhead that shoots the same as my field tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttechhunter View Post
        Gotta broadhead tune your bow.....
        Well I knew that. My question was....what causes it.

Comment

Hand torque... I shot bh's a few days ago just messing with my grip, gripping my bow different ways and you will be surprised at the impact differences

Comment

The fixed broadheads I have where shooting low and just slightly to the right. I picked up a new set, made by Carbon express and supposedly fly like field tips, and they hit in the same place.

I brought those back and picked up the Rage 2-blade machnical. I've not had time the last two days to test them out. If they work, I'll use them, but I'd still like to find a fixed blade that flys like field points.

I'll probably pick up some slick tricks.

Comment

Ive shot the montecs for a few seasons now and every season i have to adjust my rest till the BH and the field points hit in the same spot. Usually its a very small amount (1/8 or 1/16 of an inch makes a huge difference). I would suggest trying that tomorrow before you bring it in. Usually takes a few mins to get them lined up especially if they are only off by a few inches. Best of luck to ya.

Comment

Definatrly not hand torque....

Comment

I paper tuned my bow and it shoots great.

Comment

fixed broadheads fly diff then the FP do.....think of em as little wings flyin threw the air....ive shot the g5 montecs for years. and they are the only one i will shoot. GREAT BROADHEAD! but i will say i have 2 sights one for FP and one for the g5. with my bear the truth bow. if i shoot FP i can hold my 10 yard pin at 25 yards (it will fly straight and fast and i always set my sights using the six oclock hold...if its a little close aim low, if far a little high....but never split pins).....but with the g5s (and my other sight) i have a 10 20 30 40 and 50.(deer shot max is 30..for a pig its 60!).... and both points are 100gr

Comment

Outside of the obvious (run out of the BH to the shaft and/or not enough drag from fletching) two things affect BH flight compared to field point.. Spine, or centershot.. If the arrow is leaving the bow in upset then the BH will steer the arrow off line where a field point won’t.. Easiest way to tell which it is…. Use an allen wrench and make a significant change in the bows draw weight.. if there is no reaction to the change in draw weight then it is centershot..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                        Outside of the obvious (run out of the BH to the shaft and/or not enough drag from fletching) two things affect BH flight compared to field point.. Spine, or centershot.. If the arrow is leaving the bow in upset then the BH will steer the arrow off line where a field point won’t.. Easiest way to tell which it is…. Use an allen wrench and make a significant change in the bows draw weight.. if there is no reaction to the change in draw weight then it is centershot..
                        Listen to this man. ^^^^^^^

Comment

to me it reads two things happening.

1. ~1" high... your string might have stretch or your D-loop moved slightly, center serving slipping- you need to move your nock point up or rest down.

2. 3" left. you need more tip weight OR move your rest slightly to the right (or towards riser), check where the fieldtips group and move the sight accordingly and then shoot broadheads again. adjust more and repeat if needed.

edit
                          with it being such short notice before the hunt, IF your broadheads are grouping consistently 3" left. just adjust the sights for broadheads only and worry with the tune when you get back.
                          Last edited by wassaw; 10-05-2011, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Going to mesquite as soon as they open...I woke up at 4 this morning bc I was so worried. Not something I needed the day before a hunt

Comment

Originally posted by wassaw View Post
                              to me it reads two things happening.

1. ~1" high... your string might have stretch or your D-loop moved slightly, center serving slipping- you need to move your nock point up or rest down.

2. 3" left. you need more tip weight OR move your rest slightly to the right (or towards riser), check where the fieldtips group and move the sight accordingly and then shoot broadheads again. adjust more and repeat if needed.

edit
                              with it being such short notice before the hunt, IF your broadheads are grouping consistently 3" left. just adjust the sights for broadheads only and worry with the tune when you get back.
                              Yep.
                              And, make "very" small adjustments. You may be surprised and find that as little as 1/32" adjustment may fix the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X