new bow.. need some guidance on choosing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new bow.. need some guidance on choosing

am looking for suggestions on things to look for in a new bow.

currently i have a red head kronik, that shoots well, but is older and only at 56 lbs draw weight. i plan to keep it as a backup bow.

i have looked at Z7 Extreme, Bowtech invasion, Hoyt CRx32 and Hoyt Carbon Extreme.

1st look: Mathews/Hoyt shop- shot the Z7 extreme and the hoyt carbon the Z7 Extreme shot well, albeit a bit slower, but felt pretty good draw was smooth, but not overly quiet. the Carbon Element was noisier and not as smooth on the pull.

2nd look: bowtech/hoyt shop shot the invasion and it was fast, a little tougher to draw, but felt good. the CRX 32 was easier to draw, fast, and quiet too. i told them i wasnt sure about trying the Carbon Element after my last test, but they insisted.
    Carbon Element was super smooth, no vibration, quiet, and fast. totally different from my first experience at the other shop.

i consider both shops to be high quality places, so i dont intend to make this a good shop/bad shop thing. others may have experiences that were good/bad, but pm those as i dont want to start any negative press.

so, my question is... i am fairly new to bowhunting and dont really know that much about the bow mechanics and what makes some better than others.
    i get the whole "buy what feels good to you part, but what about when 2 or 3feel good to you?

what else should i be looking at when i go back and shoot some more?

i am 5"11 185 lbs, shoot 29" dL and prefer 60 to 64 lbs
    mostly hunt out of a tree or pop up blind, but have not had any issues with bow size so far.

thx for reading

Shoot each of them and then choose
    Shoot what fills right!

Comment

Look at brace height id go with a least a 7" brace height. And resale value. I think the invasion and carbon element would have the most.

Comment

I would shoot all the bows again that adjust from 50-60lbs. If you want to top out at 64 then most 50-60 will top out at 62. I bought my invasion one day before another gentleman bought his. He CG his at 55lb shooting 305 fps, mine was at 65lbs and was at 315 fps. when you are moving that fast what is 10fps? Make sure that it is something you can shoot 20 time back to back with comfort. Good Luck! Better do something soone the opener is 4 short days away.

Comment

Let the bow pick you, dont focus on the NAMES focus on what feels the best to you. Try not to get hung up on speed. At 29 inches you will rarely find a bow that will actually hits rated IBO speed. Speed just makes ya miss faster lol. Check out the Quest/G5 Primal or Rev. Not as expensive, not as fast, but go at it with an open mind they will suprise ya.

Comment

Have the shop set each bow up to the same draw length and draw weight so you can compare apples to apples. Shoot these bows on equal terms and let the bow choose you. First you need to like the way the bow feels in your hand before during and after you settle in to your anchor. You need to like the way it draws, holds and shoots. Once you have shot each bow many times against each other you should know what bow you will shoot the best in the field. Do not worry about the brace height a great deal, I tend to like a larger BH, but with todays bows, BH is not a great issue like it use to be. Go with your gut and buy the bow you like the best in all aspects, but compare them on equal terms.

Comment

I'm not much of a hoyt person, I do like the design of the bow and i hear gret things about them but there just not my kind of bow... I shot the invasion and I love the feel of it and it is a great bow, If your looking in to the bowtech line try looking at the Assassin as well its super smooth ( alot more then the invasion ), pulling the Assassin back at 70lbs dosent even feel as if you pulling that much. At ibo its rated a 333fps and its completly dead in the hand, accurate and quite.. Sells at 599 with the rack package in camo or 649 fo rht black ops.. Has a shorter axel to axel so its good out of a pop up or any other application you may use it in... They have said its going to be bowtech top seller for the year for the quality bow that you get and for the price..

Comment

x2 on the bowtech assassin. Cheaper price but not quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  Have the shop set each bow up to the same draw length and draw weight so you can compare apples to apples. Shoot these bows on equal terms and let the bow choose you. First you need to like the way the bow feels in your hand before during and after you settle in to your anchor. You need to like the way it draws, holds and shoots. Once you have shot each bow many times against each other you should know what bow you will shoot the best in the field. Do not worry about the brace height a great deal, I tend to like a larger BH, but with todays bows, BH is not a great issue like it use to be. Go with your gut and buy the bow you like the best in all aspects, but compare them on equal terms.
                  X2, well said!!

Comment

Have you tried the bowtech destroyer? I own one and absolutely love it. Only drawback is you have to take it to the shop or have a press to work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by awatsonjr View Post
                      Look at brace height id go with a least a 7" brace height. And resale value. I think the invasion and carbon element would have the most.
                      I agree you need a bow that is forgiving

Comment

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with any of the bows mentioned. I guess the best advice I could give you is that most bows tend to perform better when the limbs are close to or at max poundage. Lots of bows now days are available in 55-65 lb draw range. I would look for something with this option.

Comment

have u looked into the mission bows they are awesome they are made by matthews and they get the lifetime warranty

Comment

Working...
                          X