Paper Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper Tuning

Been getting into bowhunting the past two years... could someone please explain paper tuning? I seen one post that referred to it when his arrows were fishtailing...

Basically, shooting thru a piece of paper to determine how straight your arrow is leaving the bow.
    Initial rest position, cam timing/lean, spine, and hand position come into play.
    A perfect bullet-hole is the goal, but even so, does not mean the bow is finely tuned.
    Paper tuning tells me that all components are very close, and are working well together.
    Others will suggest different tuning methods, but I believe most are only compatible wih an advanced archer.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
      Basically, shooting thru a piece of paper to determine how straight your arrow is leaving the bow.
      Initial rest position, cam timing/lean, spine, and hand position come into play.
      A perfect bullet-hole is the goal, but even so, does not mean the bow is finely tuned.
      Paper tuning tells me that all components are very close, and are working well together.
      Others will suggest different tuning methods, but I believe most are only compatible wih an advanced archer.
      x2

Comment

I've been shooting bowhunting 23 years and I still use that method. No fletch on the arrow though.

Comment

These series of videos is how I learned how to tune my bow. I have done it like this and also looked up the Easton manual he talks about and it helps a ton. My Z7 went from completely out of tune to shooting bullet holes and right on target up to 60 yards which is as far as I will shoot. Watch all three videos and I hope it helps. Enjoy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKW0x-xGa7c"]Bow Tuning Part 1: Paper Tuning - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLiJelNYKfw"]Bow Tuning Part 2: Walk Back Tuning - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmt4wG3l1AM"]Bow Tuning Part 3: Broadhead Tuning - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Get it booco tuned.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their input... I'm shooting a Z7 and it seems like I may have some fishtailing but I think i'll take it over to West Houston Archery and have it checked - Can't hurt. Again, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by awatsonjr View Post
                Get it booco tuned.
                X2

Comment

Be careful trying to paper tune tho!!! If your not doing everything perfect, it can literally turn into an all day or all week affair. Often times ending up worse than you started. From experience, I wouldn't recommend watching a video, and then doing trying it. Get with someone who really knows how to tune a bow so they can show you why they are doing what theyre doing. One tear can mean several different things, and if you dont REALLY know your stuff, you can make a hell of a mess! Just speaking from experience. Been shooting bows most of my life, and still seek help on most thorough tuning

Comment

How do you know if you need to paper tune or do y'all always paper tune? Ive been shootin for a while and have never paper tuned a bow. My assassin shoots great as it is but I wonder if it will shoot better if I paper tuned it.

"Aim small, miss small"

Comment

If your bow is shooting great , it might not be a good time to start messing with it beings how deer season is less than 2 weeks away.

Comment

Originally posted by atexx2 View Post
                        if your bow is shooting great , it might not be a good time to start messing with it beings how deer season is less than 2 weeks away.
                        x100!!

Comment

Think of it this way - paper tuning is on the front end of the setup/tuning process. If your bow is grouping broadheads well at the distances you will shoot while hunting, which is the goal for most folks, then you are in good shape.

Comment

Ok thanks guys

"Aim small, miss small"

Comment

Working...
                            X