Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Question for Women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Women

Bowhunters.

What poundage is your bow (compound), arrow size, broadhead/field points, and how efficent is it on deer and hogs?

My daughter mentioned hunting (I used to take her when I was on a gun lease). I have a newer Bear Instinct (two actually) that has 50-60lb limbs that I can drop to @40-50, and I have all the draw modules. I also have some cheap BassPro 45-60 arrows that I can finish out for her. Unfortuantly I won't be able to talk her into Razorback wraps.

My main point is, I can setup the bow and teach her how to shoot, but I don't want to handicap her and risk a possible wounding based on lack of bow/arrow/broadhead. It would be 2012-2013 before she was to the point she was able to hunt, so we could work up to a suitable setup.

Suggestions?

Just think back about 30-40-50 years and to the bows that were commonly used then--lots of 45-lb draw recurves have killed many, many deer. So-if she can pull 45 (and even 40) on the compound, which is more efficient, shooting an appropriately spined arrow (and I would recommend thick-walled aluminum shafts), with shaving sharp cut-on-contact broadheads, at reasonable ranges, she'll be fine--but she has to "shoot 'em where they live." So, practice is important!! Limiting the range to 25 yds makes range estimation much less critical, and her rig isn't going to have the flat trajectory you see on a 75-lb pull bow shooting lightweight carbon arrows. Rangefinders help with this, as does learning the range to landmarks around her stand. I'd also take a target to the stand and have her shoot at varying distances from her stand--builds confidence.

Don't think I'd turn her loose on a 250lb mud-caked boar with that rig, or a bull elk at 45 yds, but for wtd and feral hogs up to 25 yds she'll be fine IMO.
    Last edited by dustoffer; 09-17-2011, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
      Just think back about 30-40-50 years and to the bows that were commonly used then--lots of 45-lb draw recurves have killed many, many deer. So-if she can pull 45 (and even 40) on the compound, which is more efficient, shooting an appropriately spined arrow (and I would recommend thick-walled aluminum shafts), with shaving sharp cut-on-contact broadheads, at reasonable ranges, she'll be fine--but she has to "shoot 'em where they live." So, practice is important!! Limiting the range to 25 yds makes range estimation much less critical, and her rig isn't going to have the flat trajectory you see on a 75-lb pull bow shooting lightweight carbon arrows. Rangefinders help with this, as does learning the range to landmarks around her stand. I'd also take a target to the stand and have her shoot at varying distances from her stand--builds confidence.

Don't think I'd turn her loose on a 250lb mud-caked boar with that rig, or a bull elk at 45 yds, but for wtd and feral hogs up to 25 yds she'll be fine IMO.
      Nice advice

Comment

Up.

Comment

My wife shoots a 295 grain arrow, tipped with an 85 grain Slick Trick, at 47 lbs and 250 fps, and shoots thru most deer and hogs under 180 lbs.

Comment

Yep!

Comment

Thanks Rocky. What poundage did you start her with, and how long did it take her to build up to 47lb?

Comment

She started in '95 at 32 lbs, (Jennings Micro-Carbon) and within a year was up to 50,(back then the cams were softer) but with current bow, 47 is just right.(Bowtech Equalizer)
                She has a 25 inch DL.

Comment

A friend of mine shoots at 44 lbs with a 23" draw and 500 spine arrows with 85 gr broadheads and kills multiple hogs and usually 3 deer a year. Last year shoot a nice 10 point at Lincoln ranch.

Comment

I just bought the Girlfriend the Mathews Craze.... 20 - 70 lb dw and will adjust from 19-30" DL.... Very reasonable bow for a youth/woman to start with.

Comment

Bought my wife a PSE Chaos and she loves it.

Comment

great advice

Comment

Working...
                        X