Question about Rattling..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Rattling..

I am looking for input on equipment for rattling.. rattle bags, antlers ect.. what do you use and how well do they work..

I've never had any luck with any type of rattles.
    It has a lot to do with your ratio in the area tho.
    If there are a lot of does and a few bucks, you're chances are slim that it'll work.
    If you have a more balanced ratio then chances are, you'll get a bucks attention pretty quick.

I did however witness my dad call in a spike using a plastic water bottle. Lol
    He kept poping the rings at the bottom of the bottle and it was loud! I told him to stop and the next thing I knew, a little spike came running in looking for the fight.

That being said, I doubt there's one good method out there.
    If they're responding to rattlers then I think any of them will do the job

Comment

I use shed antlers they work good ,have used rattle bag
      Timing is everything,the peak of the rut is when i have had most bucks respond

Comment

I rattle a ton myself, and real antlers are no doubt the best. I dont care at all for any of the rattling "toys" out there myself. But, as anyone who really knows much about rattling can tell you, When the time is right, you can just about beat two sticks together and they'll run over the top of you. Had one do it to me when I was chopping brush for fence stays once

Comment

Originally posted by SouthTexas2544 View Post
          I rattle a ton myself, and real antlers are no doubt the best. I dont care at all for any of the rattling "toys" out there myself. But, as anyone who really knows much about rattling can tell you, When the time is right, you can just about beat two sticks together and they'll run over the top of you. Had one do it to me when I was chopping brush for fence stays once
          X2

Timing is EVERYTHING!

Comment

Real horns only for me. Plastic sounds like plastic. Rattling works anywhere regardless of ratio. You just have to hit at the right time. As soon as I start seeing ground scrapes and rubs I will break out the horns. I have rattled in hundreds of bucks over the years. It's my favorite way to hunt. Timing is the key. If you know when the peak rut activity is in your area you will want to start about 2-3 weeks earlier. Don't wait until the bucks get locked down on hot does. This is to late.You ever tried to pull a Tom from a group of hot hens? Same thing, almost impossible. I've rattled in many bucks here in Brazoria county where I live and people say it cannot be done because they are trying during hunting season and thats to late. I do it in late August and September because the rut here is so early.I have rattled in some big deer in this area then and you never see them during October or November. To late. Hope this helps. It's a blast.

Comment

I have tried them all the past 2 years... with no luck... like they all say... you have to have the right coditions for it to work... this year I have a spot with several buck... maybe it will work!

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                Real horns only for me. Plastic sounds like plastic. Rattling works anywhere regardless of ratio. You just have to hit at the right time. As soon as I start seeing ground scrapes and rubs I will break out the horns. I have rattled in hundreds of bucks over the years. It's my favorite way to hunt. Timing is the key. If you know when the peak rut activity is in your area you will want to start about 2-3 weeks earlier. Don't wait until the bucks get locked down on hot does. This is to late.You ever tried to pull a Tom from a group of hot hens? Same thing, almost impossible. I've rattled in many bucks here in Brazoria county where I live and people say it cannot be done because they are trying during hunting season and thats to late. I do it in late August and September because the rut here is so early.I have rattled in some big deer in this area then and you never see them during October or November. To late. Hope this helps. It's a blast.

So, is right now a good time to rattle? Ive never done it but was planning to this season. Since we hunt in the same county should I give it a try now as practice?

Comment

I have had great success with actual antlers. I'm not a big fan of rattle bags. I may be misunderstanding something here, but if the season opens in October what would be the point in rattling in August or September?

Comment

Originally posted by cajunguy88 View Post
                    So, is right now a good time to rattle? Ive never done it but was planning to this season. Since we hunt in the same county should I give it a try now as practice?
                    Originally posted by HunterDan2006 View Post
                    I have had great success with actual antlers. I'm not a big fan of rattle bags. I may be misunderstanding something here, but if the season opens in October what would be the point in rattling in August or September?
                    So you can shoot them before they break their antlers.

Comment

Only tried it once, and that deer took off running.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                        So you can shoot them before they break their antlers.
                        It takes great skill and cunning sir.

Comment

Working...
                        X