Upcoming Product Review!! WGI Micro3 RED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upcoming Product Review!! WGI Micro3 RED

Well I finally bought a digital game camera. I refuse to pay the crazy prices they are asking for even average game cams, so I am always searching for a deal. At $69.99+tax I finally decided to give it a whirl. And Cabelas has a 90 day money back guarantee!!

This is a small size 3.0MP infrared camera that will hold a standard SD card. I will list the pros, and after I capture some images I will update this thread.

Pro
    3.0MP
    IR night images so no white flash
    Will hold SD card up to 16MB
    Very small size
    Runs on 8 AA batteries
    Easy to read LCD display
    Easy to set for normal operation

According to the packaging the IR flash is up to 40 ft and the motion sensor is up to 60 ft. Also has an external power jack for an optional 6V battery pack, and comes with a USB cable for connecting to a desktop PC or laptop. I am very interested in seeing the results of this camera knowing the brand does not have the best rep out there. Time will tell.

will keep an eye on this one!

Comment

I have 2 WGI cameras and they take good pictures

Only complaint I have is the cheaper one is preprogramed to take pics 24/7 with 1min intervals. I get 1000+ pics every week and most are birds and squirrels in 1min intervals

Comment

Update on Review

I suppose there is a learning curve to this that I am still trying to figgur out. I out the camera in a spot on Monday and picked it up today. I would have left it longer, but I got nervous about leaving it where it was. It had taken a total of 6 pictures. The first 2 were of me during the set up and testing of the sensor. One had a deer in it, and the other 3 were white outs.

I have no idea if this is a trend for this camera or brand. I am hoping maybe something was too close and it could not get a good pic. I will do some more research to see if the white out problem is expected to continue. If so, bye bye camera!!!

Here is the deer pic!!
        Attached Files

Comment

No temp on the Micro3 Red? I just pulled a WGI IR2 that I had set up in my backyard to test a remote battery pack that I made (worked great; almost 700 pics of my dog and a lot of doves and still had 4 bars after enduring the heat for 29 days!) It recorded temps as high as 123 degrees and with the exception of 3 pics, which were grainy and a bit color shifted, it recorded clear images and no white outs or black outs. I'm really interested in this new WGI platform because of the size. I hope they get feedback from owners and work out any bugs that may be identified in field testing.

cricman

Comment

I was looking at getting the same one online at Cabela's but it said backorderable. I went to Academy to see if they had them and they had the same one but it was Micro 6 red. It was $99. Will see how it does. First camera. It took good night pics and good day time picks at the house outside. Inside with lights on they were white outs. It had 5 out of 5 stars on every review at Academy website and BassPro website. But there was only a handful of reviews so far.

Comment

I stay away from that brand...good luck

Comment

i didnt have a good experience with my wgi camera good attractants crappy cams.

Comment

I am glad this found it's way back to the top. Upon further review, I am going to give this camera a big thumbs down!!! It has been out for at least 2 weeks in an area known to have deer travelling through it, and it did not take one single picture. The battery indicator showed full, and the sensor would light up when you passed in front of it from various ranges, but I dont think it ever triggered one single time.

That is too bad, because I was really looking forward to using the small bodied camera. Oh well, back to Cabelas it goes! Good Luck to anyone else with this style camera. Hope it works better than mine did!!!

Comment

Thanks for the review that sucks, you gonna upgrade to something better or just not worry about a camera?

Comment

ive got two of them and love them both. the cheaper ones have like a 30 second trigger. so you have to be conscious where u putthem. deer passing in front of them usually wont get caught but if u position it where they walk to it you will do better. good luck

Comment

@tr19 it was pointed at a feeding station, so surely it should have triggered at least once!! and 30 second trigger is WAYYYY too slow to be effective!!

@quickstrike--I think I am done with the "Try to find an affordable reliable digital game camera" game. I dont wanna pay a lot for the cam, but would like decent performance. At least as well as the 35MM camera that is still working just fine!! So I guess I will stick to that one.

Comment

you dont have to pay alot....$120 will get you an amazing cam(M80) and $70-$90 will also get you an excellent Primos cam

Comment

120 bucks to stick out in the woods that is primarily public is a ton to just risk throwing away. if it were on private, that is a different matter, but WAYYYYYYYYYY too much to just let walk away. And I kinda like the excitement of finding deer through scouting without cameras!

Comment

For clarification, the delay time is 30 seconds. At chasinggame.com (an independent website that tests a lot of game cameras), the trigger times on that series of cameras came in at about 1 second in daylight, and about 1.6 seconds in the dark. The biggest problems with the WGIs (and other makers as well) is SD card compatability. Once you can get that sorted out, they all work pretty good under 110 degree temperatures. I have several WGIs and they are troopers. I'm getting about 300 pics a week on the cameras that I have out in the field now. Having said that, I have sent 2 back for warranty replacement, no questions asked. The CS is pretty good, and it helped that I dropped them off in person.

cricman
                              Last edited by cricman; 09-18-2011, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X