Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you determine arrow spine for your bow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you determine arrow spine for your bow.

I have constantly wondered, and have only asked a few people.... and never got a clear answer. So here it goes.... What is the spine on an arrow, and how do I determine what I need for my bow. I shoot a PSE MachX with 70 lb limbs, and set at about 68 pull right now. I have been shooting some 6075 CX arrows, but have always wondered about the other route. So can someone give me some insight?

CB

anyone? Hate to sound stupid. But just want to know.

cb

Comment

Get ahold of Mike "Javi" Cooper
      He'll school you all day long about arrows, splines and spines

And the spine is how many hundredths of an inch the arrow bends when a weight is hung from the center of the shaft
      I can't remember the exact poundage of the weight... (maybe in or around 2.5 lbs???)

Get ahold of Mike....

Comment

Actually, he's in Waco so it wouldn't be to far of a drive to come and meet him.
        Alot on knowledge in his head!

Comment

If you're not an expert, go to a real archery pro shop and let them guide you. Spine is the deflection a 2 pound weight will bend an arrow sitting on 2 points 28 inches apart.

All arrow makers have a chart which will get you close, carbons have much less if an issue than aluminum arrows did.

Search TBH for the Easton Tuning Guide I uploaded and it has everything explained there.

Comment

On spine you have to take into consideration type of cams on the bow, draw weight you are shooting, weight of field point/BH and finger or mechanical release and use all this to determine the correct spine over a range that will work for your set up. If you change any of the above mentioned items, it can change the spine of the arrow. Go a little stiff on the sline rather than a little weak on the spine and most of the time, you will be fine. Forgot to mention the length of the arrow also.

Comment

thanks guys, sounds like I need to do some research. I have tried, and being new to this whole archery thing..... I think I might be a little stupid. Most of it makes no sense to me. I need to go to a real pro shop, but finding an extra minute as a rookie policeman is few and far between.

cb

Comment

Google carbon arrow university. Print the arrow manual, and read it about 20 or 30 times. Then read it again, and backwards... Lol
                Last edited by CamoQuest; 07-28-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

When a bow is released the arrow bends. The amount of bend has to be correct for the bow. This defelction is set by the spine (or stiffness) of the arrow. Things like bow speed cam acceleration, shaft length and tip weight all have an influence.

Comment

Originally posted by temple droptine View Post
                    I have constantly wondered, and have only asked a few people.... and never got a clear answer. So here it goes.... What is the spine on an arrow, and how do I determine what I need for my bow. I shoot a PSE MachX with 70 lb limbs, and set at about 68 pull right now. I have been shooting some 6075 CX arrows, but have always wondered about the other route. So can someone give me some insight?

CB
                    Temple - hows the bow shoting for ya? the 6075 arrows are wat you need. the easiest way to determine arrow spine is basically by draw weight and draw length. the 6075s are alreaddy set up for 60-70lb bows. u could shoot the 5570s if you had a very short draw and shooting 70 lbs. but other arrows like CX maximas are 250 and 350s. The 350s are stiffer spine made for heavy draw weights and the 250s for the lower weights... hope that helps.

Comment

Lot more to choosing an arrow than draw length and draw weight. Do not get fooled. Lots of other factors to consider.

Comment

Working...
                      X