Solar panel for Game Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar panel for Game Cam

I need a little info. I have a moultree game cam that takes 6 d-cell batteries, so i am looking to put a solar panel on it so i don't have to replace the batteries in it any more, my question is with the solar panel and new 12v rechargeable battery, do i still need d-cell batteries in the camera or will the 12v rechargeable power the whole thing. Thanks for the help!

tt

Comment

Moultrie sells a solar panel with a battery in it. It's called power pack

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
        Moultrie sells a solar panel with a battery in it. It's called power pack
        This, it plugs right into your moultrie camera. I have a couple of them and they work great. You don't have to have your batteries in the camera for it to work but leave them in for backup because if you have cloudy days you might need them.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
          This, it plugs right into your moultrie camera. I have a couple of them and they work great. You don't have to have your batteries in the camera for it to work but leave them in for backup because if you have cloudy days you might need them.

Batteries can leak and destroy a camera had this happen to a moultrie and a cuddiback. If I had the power pannel I would not leave batterys in.

Comment

You can do it with your own solor panel and battery. I built one using an ammo box and wired it to battery and solor panel. You can buy the plug in at radio shack.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous dan View Post
              Batteries can leak and destroy a camera had this happen to a moultrie and a cuddiback. If I had the power pannel I would not leave batterys in.
              The problem is that if you don't leave the batteries in, you will end up missing some pictures because the power panel itself can't keep up all the time. I run 8 cameras and have never had batteries leak. I have seen ones leak that were not mine but in both cases it was a camera that was left out for months at a time with drained batteries. Mine rarely go more than a week without me checking them. If I was worried about batteries leaking (I'm not) I would run them off a auxiliary battery and solar panel that could keep up and not the Moultrie power panel.

Comment

I have had 6 Moultrie Cameras running on the Moultrie Solar Panel and they work great. I do leave the 6 D cell batteries in there for back up. I have never had them leak either.

Comment

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
                  You can do it with your own solor panel and battery. I built one using an ammo box and wired it to battery and solor panel. You can buy the plug in at radio shack.
                  X2 lil cheaper this way

Comment

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
                    I actually have 2 of these type rigs that I need to sell. Meant to take pics at the lease on Sunday and forgot. I changed cameras and don't use them anymore.

Just remembered when I saw your post.

Comment

Everyone of my snipers will quit working if you leave the C's and the back up battery plugged in.

It's one or the other for every camera I use.

Comment

With the moulltrier cant you access them from home?

Comment

Don't know if the moultrie have battery protecton but I was told not to use the battery packs and the D cells still in the camera. The batterypack could overload the D cells on the primos cameras - not sure about the moultrie. Something to consider.

Comment

We run about 15 Moultry Cameras on our lease and all have the solar panels. What we have found is that it extends the battery life. Now you will still have camera issues but we typically get about 3 months out of a set of batteries, after that we have found it is better to change them and not miss the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Delirious View Post
                              Don't know if the moultrie have battery protecton but I was told not to use the battery packs and the D cells still in the camera. The batterypack could overload the D cells on the primos cameras - not sure about the moultrie. Something to consider.
                              I know with the Moultrie I-40, I-60 and M-80 that once you plug the
                              solar panel/battery pack in and juice is flowing from the solar panel/battery pack to the camera that it is no longer connected to the internal battery pack so there is no way it can overload the internal batteries. Once the solar panel/battery pack is no longer supplying power to camera it will switch over to the internal batteries. I have had 2 Moultrie I-40's out with solar panel/battery pack for about 2 years without every changing the internal batteries. Of course I have had to change out the display 3 times in one and 2 times in the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X