• Show
Clear All

trijicon review #1

I've had a couple of posts already but let me run through my set up

z7extreme tactical
    399 gr n-fused arrow
    ultra hdx rest
    stokerized ss1 stabilizer

I had been waiting on the trijicon for about 6 weeks, last week I called to follow up and was told that it could be another 8 weeks. Then two days ago I got a surprise in the mail it was here.

Initial impression putting it together
    • Well Built
    • quality machining
    • if you shoot an hha/sword it's about the same weight
    • this sucker is very bright in the dark without the major haloing affect
    • instructions seemed easy

I then proceeded to put it on the bow and start working the sight in. As I went through the instructions problem number one. there is a set screw that locks the cam into place so that you don't change it. . . . . screw is missing. I pull one from the horizontal sight locks to use in it's place. after this post a call to trijicon ought to fix that.

This bow at 65 lbs is shooting at 268 so i set the cam at 3 lock it into place. You need to know your fps in order to set the cam and gear for the dial.

I dial into 20 yards and draw back. The sight house fills the peep more then the sword centurion i have been using. I like to perfectly silhouette the house in the peep and thats not going to possible with this sight or the size of peep i normally use (3/16).

The trijicon chevron has a bit different look then i'm used to with a round fiber but the point actually seems easier to get under target (I lollipop the target). I fire two arrows and windage is actually perfect but both about three inches high. I randomly dial down about a half and inch shoot two more, a little bit of fine tuning and quickly find the 20. as per the instructions I then loosen a lock and roll the dial to set my 20.

with all my adjustable single pins I like to randomly move the sight up and down, return to 20 and see how it moves back to zero. The trijicon is perfect better then any of my others with consistency in that respect.

At this point I began to fine tune the windage to get into a half dollar when i noticed that the bracket that slides up and down has a lot of slop in it. I look to tighten the bolts but they have filled them in with a glue gun so that they cannot be tightened. I understand the need for them to be able to slide up and down but candidly i do not like the amount of movement. If you have a single pin you'll know what I'm referring to. Essentially trijicon has four bolts in two slide that move up and down and you dial yardages. They do not bolt these snugly at all.

That said I very easily get the 20 into a consistent 50 cent piece.

Head home and begin the process of calibrating the dial. The next step is to go to 40 and shoot the bow. I set the dial at 40 and I'm a bit high. the fine tuning process is very very easy to understand you basically dial the CAM adjustment up or down to fine tune the arrow speed. The re-sight the bow back in at 20 and you should be pretty consistent.

The bow is not tuned so I'll do a walk back and broadhead tune then re-sight the trijicon.

So far I'm impressed with the workmanship, ease of use, and the design of the dial and the pin is the shiz. I'm not impressed with the Quality Control or the design of the slide.

Overall great sight . . . . . . not worth 2.5 times what my sword centurion was at this point but I've not put the sight through it's paces.

After i fine tune that I'll start fiddling with the ss1 so i can post a review of that. for now I set it up basically to balance as much as possible in static state. My plan is to pull it off the Z7 extreme and shoot it on my z7 which I'm much more comfortable with. I can then compare the feel of the bow's stability with it in various positions compared to a normal posten. I'm also going to try it with the ss1 and the posten to see if the stability increase is worth what it will add in weight.

great review....been looking at getting a trijicon bow sight....really like the concept of no yarfage tape that can fall off....thanks again for taking the time to write a good review

Comment

Thanks for the review!

I'm still considering getting one myself but may have to postpone it for a while as other issues need attention more.

Comment

One question please. Does the chevron look like it will cover a lot of the animal's body? Meaning if you set the pin for 28 yards and try a longer shot like ~35 ish, would you lose your point of reference on the body because it is covered with the body of the pin. Hopefully I explained that so it makes sense! Thanks for the review BTW!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
          One question please. Does the chevron look like it will cover a lot of the animal's body? Meaning if you set the pin for 28 yards and try a longer shot like ~35 ish, would you lose your point of reference on the body because it is covered with the body of the pin. Hopefully I explained that so it makes sense! Thanks for the review BTW!
          Understand clearly and the answer is no. It's just like any single pin and the post is no more obstructive then a pin.

just has a different look to it. a pin is a round dot with a metal post, this is a glass post that comes to a super fine point.

Comment

Cool thanks!

Comment

just called trijicon on the set screw and they are priority mailing it

Comment

Working...
              X