Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if im shooting 43lbs..

whats a good arrow weight for me?

215 grains at a minimum. Aside from that, it's all up to arrow length and tuning.

Comment

ive heard that a heavier arrow would be better, close to 10 gr per inch. what do you think?

Comment

What arrow length do you use?

Comment

27 in

Comment

In my opionion you should match your arrow spine to your bow and the length of your arrow to determine the approximate arrow weight to get you into a ballpark weight. But just guessing based on the limited info you provided I would say a 400 to 500 spined arrow which normally would put you in the range of around 8 gpi. But we would really need more info than you have provided to give you a informed answer. What is your arrow length and your draw lenght set to on your bow. What bow are you shooting? What grain of field tips or broadheads are you using.

Comment

a 27 in arrow at 43 lbs at 10 gpi is 270 grains + at least 85 for the broadhead + another ~20ish for nock/fletching...that puts you at ~375...pretty heavy for that draw weight IMO. You might have some pretty slow speeds. I would try to find an arrow closer to 6gpi...that would still put you over 250, but get you a little more speed.

With that draw weight and length, you want a spine of .480-.520 for both 85 or 100 grain broadheads.

The carbon express Maxima has a gpi of 6.3 and spines at .495.
              Easton flatlines you can get 6.5gpi and .500 spine
              Easton epic STs you could go 7.3gpi and .500 spine for a little heavier, same stats for the excel.
              Beman's arrow selections will be about the same as Easton, but I'd go with one of those arrows.

6.3gpi gives you 170 grain shaft
              6.5gpi gives you a 175.5 grain shaft
              7.3 gives you 197.1 grain shaft

Using an 85 grain head, you're looking at 275ish with the lower end and 302 on the upper end of those shafts.
              Using a 100 grain, 290 on the lower end and 317 on the higher end.

They should all spine well to your bow with some tuning.
              Last edited by PSD Ryan; 05-25-2011, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
                a 27 in arrow at 43 lbs at 10 gpi is 270 grains + at least 85 for the broadhead + another ~20ish for nock/fletching...that puts you at ~375...pretty heavy for that draw weight IMO. You might have some pretty slow speeds. I would try to find an arrow closer to 6gpi...that would still put you over 250, but get you a little more speed.

With that draw weight and length, you want a spine of .480-.520 for both 85 or 100 grain broadheads.

The carbon express Maxima has a gpi of 6.3 and spines at .495.
                Easton flatlines you can get 6.5gpi and .500 spine
                Easton epic STs you could go 7.3gpi and .500 spine for a little heavier, same stats for the excel.
                Beman's arrow selections will be about the same as Easton, but I'd go with one of those arrows.

6.3gpi gives you 170 grain shaft
                6.5gpi gives you a 175.5 grain shaft
                7.3 gives you 197.1 grain shaft

Using an 85 grain head, you're looking at 275ish with the lower end and 302 on the upper end of those shafts.
                Using a 100 grain, 290 on the lower end and 317 on the higher end.

They should all spine well to your bow with some tuning.

Good stuff right there

Comment

IMO an Easton litespeed with either a 85gr or 100 gr tip depending on shaft length would be a deadly combination. You will need at least a 500 spine if not 600 with that short draw and weight.

Comment

10 gr per inch is heavier then i shoot with a 27" 64lb draw weight. I'm shooting 9.1 with my nfusion 400's.

I think you need to be in the easton 500's at around 8 gr

Comment

i shot cx thunderstorms when i shot in the mid 40's

Comment

Carbon Express Maxima Hunter or Bluestreak 150 would be a good match.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailtrail View Post
                          whats a good arrow weight for me?
                          There are some great responses to your question. When I was recently in the same position as yourself, I wanted to understand the theory as well as knowing the answer.

Google "Carbon Arrow University" and read all five chapters. You'll be glad you did. You may want to print it... I refer to mine often.

Comment

Sounds good. Thanks!

Comment

Is this a trad bow or a compound?

Comment

Working...
                              X