Cheap but Effective hog sticker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap but Effective hog sticker

Ive been bow hunting for a while now and Ive been happy with the performance of my gear. But, I was calculating the cost of each arrow once its rigged out and its around $25 per arrow. Every shot Ive made on a hog has resulted in a broken arrow so, Im looking for something that is effective and doesnt break the bank.

My current setup is as follows.
    - Beman ICS Hunter 400 arrow
    - Muzzy 100g 3-blade fixed broadhead
    - Lumenock
    - NAP Quick Fletch wraps and Twister Vanes (if original vanes are messed up of torn off)

So, what Im looking for is a nice cheap equivalent for each of these parts that I can use for hogs. But, I dont want to get something that will fail me in the field.

I love to bowhunt and I feel that I can kill more with a bow, since its quieter, rather than shooting up the woods with my 30-06.

Any suggestions as far as brands to get or to stay away from?

Buy the parts on sale. Are you hunting at night and need the luminocks? Useing regular nocks might save some money. Some of the Academy's had Muzzy's clearanced at 10.00 for 3.

Comment

It cost me $38 a shot. So I'm a bit choosy on hogs .

Might look for some really really cheap arrows.
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-08-2011, 07:53 PM.

Comment

if you are on a budget forget the lumenok all together. That's 10 bucks right there.

Comment

I spent to much money on my rig to worry about shooting cheap arrows.......... I use the same FMJ's I hunt every other critter with on hogs.

A guy told me 30 yrs ago when I started bowhunting that if you can't afford to loose 'em, don't shoot 'em.

To me it's like trying to figure out how to get my rifle rounds back after the shot. If it does the job I intend it to do......... then it was worth the cost.

Comment

I have lost my share of arrows shooting hogs, most of the time the arrow gets broken off and you can find a lighted nock and if the arrow is lodged inside the critter you can cut the broadhead out

Watch the sales at WM and clearance stuff at academy and GM for some good deals. I don't get too upset if I break one on a critter, I do get upset when I break one practicing or shoot and miss a critter and loose or break them

My son stuck a boar the other night, hit him in the shoulder blade which knocked the nockturnal out at the feeder, arrow broke off somewhere in the woods and pig is back at feeder. I hope to get a chance to get my slick trick back soon (if it stays too long the blood will corrode it and ruin it)

Comment

walmart will get carbon express wolverines that are spined 400 i buy a bunch of these cut them to the length i need or re sight in at full length they are 3.50 a shaft i buy 6 magnus 11 100 grain for 17.00 no lighted nock but for around 6.00 a shaft or a little more i have good hog hunting arrows i even fletch them with blazers they shoot good are fairly heavy and have taken lots of hogs for me

Comment

the gold tip xt hunters are very tough they are hard to break

Comment

learn to sharpen broadheads. huge waste of money to throw away dull blades.

Comment

get rid of lumenocks and shoot readhead(basspro) or Cabela's brand arrows. Fletch your own if you don't already.

Comment

I buy lots of Muzzy's on clearance at the end of each year.....they do an excellent job on pigs.

Comment

I like the lighted nocks for hogs because most of my shots are at or after dark. I make my own. You can buy the Thill laser lights at Acadamy in the fishing department for $3.50 a piece and they last a long time. I cut a ear plug in half and put it in the shaft. Then I insert the light in my nock and stick it all the way in. This will turn your light on. I then remove the nock and turn my light off. Reinsert it but leave a 1/4 inch gap. When you shoot the arrow it will come on again.

Comment

Ever time I release an arrow it cost thirty five dollars. Worth every penny to me.

Comment

Buy the RedHead carbon Fury's from BPS when they go on sale. Usually go on sale for $50 a dozen. They are actually pretty decent arrows and plenty good for a hog.

Comment

Originally posted by hogdaddy View Post
                              learn to sharpen broadheads. huge waste of money to throw away dull blades.
                              That doesnt help when you break the broadhead body or snap the blades off. Thats usually what happens if I hit a bone just right.

FYI, dont spine one if you can help it. The only part I could reuse from the whole arrow was the Trocar tip on the Muzzy and the plastic nock. Broke all 3 blades, the aluminum body that holds the blades, the arrowhead insert, and cork-screwed about 6" of the arrowshaft. Big hog = big dense vertibrae.

Comment

Working...
                              X