elbow bend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

elbow bend?

Just how much bend is too much? To bring the string back to the tip of my nose I have to bend my elbow enough to bring the string back probably 1-1.5" to touch my nose (feels like that but maybe less). I've noticed I'm much more stable with some bend but I had a miss fire today where I relaxed a little too much just as I was getting on target and it started to let the bow down and in the surprise I hit the trigger....luckily I have a back stop and was only 3" high over the target. I haven't been back to the shop since I've really had enough practice that I have a consistent anchor. The bow is tagged 27" how much adjustment can you get or will I need 28" if I'm truly 1" short?

Schools of thought will be different on this subject, but being strictly hunting oriented in my shop, I reccomend the bent elbow for clearance issues.
    It's been said and I agree, that 2 inches short is better than 1/2 inch long.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
      Schools of thought will be different on this subject, but being strictly hunting oriented in my shop, I reccomend the bent elbow for clearance issues.
      It's been said and I agree, that 2 inches short is better than 1/2 inch long.
      This is what I tell everyone but I almost always am talking to hunters. Clearance is key in hunting.

Comment

String slap that forearm a time or two and you will find out how much you need.

Comment

Learn to hold the bow correctly and you don't need a bent arm, only a relaxed arm..

Comment

My elbow is straight but not locked. I graze it slightly sometimes but not enough to hurt. I shoot so much I have a pseudo scar on my forearm but I like my setup.

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
              Learn to hold the bow correctly and you don't need a bent arm, only a relaxed arm..
              I think you can bend your elbow and still hold the bow properly.
              Originally posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
              My elbow is straight but not locked. I graze it slightly sometimes but not enough to hurt. I shoot so much I have a pseudo scar on my forearm but I like my setup.
              And you think this is good?

Comment

Well...I maybe get swiped just slightly every 20 shots or so. My groups are great, so it's working for me. I've considered reducing my draw by a half inch, but not sure I want to.

Comment

Well...I maybe get swiped just slightly every 20 shots or so. My groups are great, so it's working for me. I've considered reducing my draw by a half inch, but not sure I want to.
                  This turns into a crash with heavy hunting clothes on, armguard or not.
                  Generally results in a miss or worse.

Comment

Like Rocky said. This little problem will magnify itself drastically in a hunting situation.
                    You said you get a swipe every 20 shots or so. I have a decent arm bend and get A swipe every 20 months or so.
                    Seriously, I would shorten it that way it won't cause you heart ache one year during deer season.

Comment

I'm not an expert by any means but it was put to me like this....

You want enough bend to be comfortable. Too much bend puts too much stress on the elbow. You're elbow is holding more weight than your back muscles are.

My bow is 29.5". My draw length is 30". Shooting w/ a loop. I have a slight bend in my elbow. If I'm at full draw, elbow locked, my string is about 1" - 1 1/2" from the tip of my nose. It's comfortable to me...

The only time I get a little arm rash is when the bottom monkey tail slide too far up the string and I have to slide it back down...

Comment

Good point. Haven't hunted deer with it yet, just pig, so wearing short sleeves. Didn't even consider what would happen with heavy layers on. I'll shorten it a half inch and see what happens. I have plenty of time to go back if I don't like it anyway.

Coming soon...my thread asking how to change it because my bow has no manual.

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
                          Agreed. I don't bend my elbow and I don't have any issues with the string slapping my arm.

Comment

Working...
                          X