Where did you learn...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did you learn...

Good form. I think I have good form but not really sure. Lately the thing that has been bothering me is as I move farther back, I shoot farther right. How do I know it's me and not the bow? I'd really like to get confident with my Mathews featherlite so that I don't go out and buy a new bow.

Shooting further right would possibly indicate a rest that isn't truely centered rather than form.

Comment

Yup. And good ole dad taught me form.

Thanks dad!

Comment

Absolutely NOT an expert here, Coach, but a walk back tuning session would be my first step! Good luck! To answer the question, I have not "learned" good form, I just hope I have it.

Comment

I used a video camera to record myself. You can learn alot this way.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulPaul View Post
            I used a video camera to record myself. You can learn alot this way.
            x2, I also got a book from Larry Wise about shooting form, it is a quick read and very informative.

Comment

Shooting further right at distance could be caused by canting your bow top right.
              A reliable level on your sights might help.
              (just because a sight has a level doesn't mean it actually is level.)

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                Shooting further right at distance could be caused by canting your bow top right.
                A reliable level on your sights might help.
                (just because a sight has a level doesn't mean it actually is level.)
                So true Rocky my XT with sword site the level is not level.

PSE has old vidoes that are good. Shooting at the local pro shops you will find people who want to help you inprove you shooting. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Michael David View Post
                  So true Rocky my XT with sword site the level is not level.

PSE has old vidoes that are good. Shooting at the local pro shops you will find people who want to help you inprove you shooting. Good luck
                  A level on sights is unlevel in most cases unless it has leveling adjustments(axis adjustments).
                  This is one reason that I'm not too hip on walk-back tuning, because if you're relying on your level to prevent cant, it needs to be level.
                  Canting the bow,(even slightly) will give false readings at walk-back tuning.
                  You can get your level somewhat level,(close), with a Hooter Shooter, but for it to be reliable, all axis' need to be adjusted, shot on steep angles to fine tune, AND, the shooter has to be able to shoot well enough to hit exactly where his pin is, to know if everything is good.
                  Any other way is just a guesstimate.
                  To put it bluntly, I've yet to talk to a shooter that can tell me, without a doubt, that his level is right.
                  I've never personally met a shooter that has done all his homework to get the level level.

Comment

Rocky hit the nail on the head in his last post and I need to ask, "what is this good form you are talking about?" I seem to have lost it sometime back!, or never had it in the first place.

Comment

as far as I'm concerned,my form is good. Tight groups,destroyed nocks,over 150 animals taken w my bow, consistent 290's 3D scores... The proof is in the puddin'.

I had nobody to teach me good form. When I started shooting, I picked up a hunting mag. I read the tech articles and applied it to my shooting. Seeing noticeable improvement,I decided that was the way to go and read every tech article I could get my hands on. My pro shop guys have complimented me several times on my form and are shocked to learn that I'm self taught.

Comment

michael braden... when he used to hang out in Lewisville...

Comment

Working...
                        X