need some arrow help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some arrow help...

I'm new to archery hunting. Bought a nice bow and I'm in the process of purchasing all the stuff I need to get started. I have a question about arrows. Is it better to purchase complete arrows or each piece separate? I never realized there were so many options when it comes to arrows. Is one brand better than the other? Do you have practice arrows and hunting arrows? If you hunt with a broadhead tip do you practice with it as well? Sorry in advance for all the questions. I'm trying to make sure I purchase the right arrow.

I plan on deer / turkey / hog hunting with my bow. Thx.

Would help if you put your set up draw length poundage..etc

Comment

Welcome to the addiction.

I'll start with a disclaimer, I'm no expert, not even all that great. But, I've recently been in your shoes. I got back into archery last summer after a 9 years hiatus. I experienced the same thing you are right now, technology has come a long way since I bowhunted 9 years ago.

There are as many arrows as there are archers, it seems. And every guy or gal has an opinion about why their arrow (or vane/feather, insert, nock, bow or broadheads) are the best and everything else is junk. Look at all the Rage vs. Brand X or Bow brand A vs. Bow brand B threads.

My best advice is to do Alot of research, Google is your friend. Find whatever brand that had good reviews and appeals to you and try 3 or 4 arrows. If you like them, stick with them. If not, try another brand until you find what you like.

The most important thing is to have a properly spined arrow. If you don't know what spine is, Google it and educate yourself. It is better to be overspined vs. underspined. I'll leave the speed vs. kinetic energy discussion for someone else.

I have 16 arrows right now. I practice with about 6 of them, and hunt with 5 others. I got my bow sighted in with the practice ones, then shot the hunting ones with field points to make sure they were same same. Then I shoot my broadheads to make sure they fly same same. I shoot mechanicals and fixed blades. My mechanicals hit almost the same spot as field points at every range. The fixed blades are close enough that I can hold over to be dead on. Point is, I wouldn't know to hold over if I hadn't of shot them prior to hunting.

Hope it helps, sorry it got so long. Huntersfriend.com has the "Arrow university" with a good overview of what you need to know. My suggestion is to find a friendly bow shop and pick their brains, chances are you'll be setup in no time ready to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by txdirtfisher View Post
        I'm new to archery hunting. Bought a nice bow and I'm in the process of purchasing all the stuff I need to get started. I have a question about arrows. Is it better to purchase complete arrows or each piece separate? I never realized there were so many options when it comes to arrows. Is one brand better than the other? Do you have practice arrows and hunting arrows? If you hunt with a broadhead tip do you practice with it as well? Sorry in advance for all the questions. I'm trying to make sure I purchase the right arrow.

I plan on deer / turkey / hog hunting with my bow. Thx.
        This depends on your budget. Shop for prices and do some research. You can get all the things needed to build arrows off of ebay, and once you have the fletching jig, arrow saw,vane stripper you will only be buying the shafts, vanes, (nocks and inserts sometimes come withe the shafts) and glue.

Some brands are beter than others, you get what you pay for most times. It is better to practice with the arrows that you are going to hunt with, although if you buy high dollar arrows it would not be wise to break them on pigs.

I use the same weight pratice tip as as broadhead tip, around september i will use broadheads to make sure every thing is dialed in like i want it.

Welcome to the world of archery.

Comment

Ok thanks. I'm still trying to figure out R-helical vs everything else! Still learning. I'm going to hit a local bow shop and get some professional help. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
          X