arrow length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arrow length

Had a buddy ask me the other day how far infront of my rest do i have my arrows cut to, i go anywhere from 1/2 to 1inch infront. What say yall? Rocky if you read this I would love your input. I know some prefer a longer arrow for more KE, but i shoot mine at 28in on my bow.

Most rests have a 1 inch overdraw, so 1 inch past the rest should equate to the true DL of the bow.
    In other words, if your bow's DL is 28 inches and is accurate, with a rest on the bow that has a 1 inch over draw, if you cut the arrow 26 1/4 inches,(true DL), you should have 1 inch of shaft in front of the rest.
    Using an accurate DL arrow is the key to getting all this right.

Comment

thanks Rocky

i told him to just put the uncut arrows on and have a buddy mark the shaft 1inch infront of the rest at full draw, then cut them all identical. Ill relay your post to him tho, Thanks man!

Comment

I'm a 29" draw and arrows are 27 1/2 with qad rest

Comment

Ok, not to steal this thread, but since we are on the topic of arrow length.
          I have a 25" draw length and most of my arrows are plenty short, but lately I've been experimenting with longer arrows and heavier tips to gain more energy down range. My main reason for this is for shooting hogs. Last year I shot one at 35yds and barely got any penetration(250grain arrow with 100gr slicktrick=350).

I guess my question is weather or not I'm on the right track?
          By the way, it was a 300lb hog!

Comment

Unless you change shafts/spine, to a heavier grain per inch, an inch or two will add less than 20 grains with most arrows.
            In my opinion, this difference is negligible, unless you get straighter flight.

Comment

I went from a 100gr tip to a 125gr. I went to stiffer spin and heavier shaft(Beman mfx micro 400 9.6gpi) that weigh about 400gr. when cut at 27 1/2".

Comment

Two schools of thought,
                1. heavier arrow more KE more wallop, more drop in yardage, less fps, slower to target
                2. less heavy arrow more FPS, less change in yardage and faster to target, but less KE once it gets there.

Either will work with a 60 -70 lb bow for any game in Texas (exotics not included) Would want more KE for a water buffalo than a WT.

as stated before one inch will add very negligible difference 1 inch would add 8 - 10 or less depending on your arrow.

I shoot 29 in draw and 28 1/4 inch arrows

Comment

You can download a program from easton for free to calculate exactly what length weight, spine..etc. and they have a setting to even figure your KE on it. If you going to be using the arrow to hunt then i would suggest that the arrow at least have a little hang over the front of the riser. I have seen people try to get speed and cut the arrow so the tip is behind the riser and the arrow fall of with a broadhead and slice open their wrist when letting down.

Comment

Guys thanks for your info. I really appreciate your help.

Comment

My Draw Length is 27.5" and I shoot a 27" arrow. Setup seems to work well for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X