Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoyt CRX-32/Elite Pulse/Bowtech Assassin - which are fastest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoyt CRX-32/Elite Pulse/Bowtech Assassin - which are fastest?

I currently shoot a Diamond Machete (pre-Bowtech Diamond) and have been since 2004. I like it a lot and have taken a lot of animals with it. However, bow technology has increased a lot since that time and I am considering upgrading to a newer bow. I've shot about 10 different models at different shops this week, and three of my favorite are the Hoyt CRX-32, Elite Pulse and Bowtech Assassin. I have never owned a Hoyt, Elite or Bowtech, but I liked different things about all 3 of these bows. The Hoyt balances well in my hands and has a very smooth draw. Same for the Elite, but with an even smoother draw. The Assassin seemed very fast. I want a bow for hunting only, I don't shoot competition. Speed isn't the most important factor for me, but I want something that is a good upgrade from what I am getting currently with my Machete (more on that below).

I know you have to take published IBO speeds with a grain of salt (for some companies more than others). According to "published" information, the Pulse has an IBO speed of 340-343, the Hoyt has an ATA (whatever that is?) speed of 323 and the Bowtech has an IBO rating of 333.

Now, I didn't get to shoot all of them through a chronograph, but I did shoot my Machete and the Hoyt CRX-32 through a chrony for as close to an apples to apples comparison as I could get. My Machete is set at 29" draw and 70 lbs. With a 383 gr. arrow (total weight), I got 278 fps. With a 356 gr. arrow (total weight) I got 285 fps. The Hoyt CRX-32 was set at 28" draw (more on that in a minute) and 70 lbs. With a 383 gr. arrow (total weight), I got 285 fps. With a 356 gr. arrow (total weight) I got 293 fps. That shop did not have a CRX-32 set-up in 29" draw, which is why we shot it in 28" draw. Not a perfect comparison, but I'm assuming with a 29" draw and the same arrows, I could probably expect somewhere in the range of 6-9 more fps, which would put the the CRX-32 right around a 15 fps speed increase over my Machete. By the way, when the Machete came out, it was rated at 315 IBO.

For those of you who have shot any or all of these bows (CRX-32, Pulse, Assassin), do you have any speed figures for 29" draw, 70 lbs. and an arrow right around 5 gr./lb of draw weight? If you don't have any experience with those exact specs, do you have any experience with which of these bows is the fastest, generally speaking, at any specs (assuming apples to apples comparison to each other)?

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Joshua

The Elite pulse is faster out of the 3 bows you listed.

Comment

Thanks, Jerry. Would you say that it goes in the order of Pulse, Assassin, CRX-32, as their "published" IBO speeds would indicate? Any idea what kind of speed I would be getting with a 70 lb./29" draw, 350 grain arrow with a Pulse, assuming only a peep, nock point and release loop on the string?

By the way, I've been watching some of your bow review videos on youtube this week and have really enjoyed them.

Joshua

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Flournoy View Post
        Thanks, Jerry. Would you say that it goes in the order of Pulse, Assassin, CRX-32, as their "published" IBO speeds would indicate? Any idea what kind of speed I would be getting with a 70 lb./29" draw, 350 grain arrow with a Pulse, assuming only a peep, nock point and release loop on the string?

By the way, I've been watching some of your bow review videos on youtube this week and have really enjoyed them.

Joshua
        Yes, The pulse will be faster than the Assassin, and the Assassin will be faster than the CRX-32.
        I hope somebody will chime in, as a Pulse came in my shop the other day rigged by a TBH sponsor, and CEnter-shot was pretty far outside, in other words way left.
        I thought there was a mistake, but when I paper-tuned it, it shot great bullet-holes.
        Seems to be quite a bit of torque in the riser, and this will equate to maxing out the sights to the left.
        Was it just this one, or is this the way the Pulse is?
        Only other bow I've seen with this much riser torque was the Reezen.

Comment

I havent shot the pulse or the assassin but i shoot the crx32 and it is a shooter. Never shot it through a chrono but every animal i have shot had complete pass throughs and one was a pig it went in one shoulder and came out the ham.

Comment

Yes sir about 320fps and thanks.
            Originally posted by Joshua Flournoy View Post

Joshua
            Last edited by JerryR; 04-02-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
              Yes, The pulse will be faster than the Assassin, and the Assassin will be faster than the CRX-32.
              I hope somebody will chime in, as a Pulse came in my shop the other day rigged by a TBH sponsor, and CEnter-shot was pretty far outside, in other words way left.
              I thought there was a mistake, but when I paper-tuned it, it shot great bullet-holes.
              Seems to be quite a bit of torque in the riser, and this will equate to maxing out the sights to the left.
              Was it just this one, or is this the way the Pulse is?
              Only other bow I've seen with this much riser torque was the Reezen.
              Rocky all elites center shot start at 7/8 do to the riser design. But the center shot on the 2011 should be around 3/4 to 13/6 with the right spine shaft.

Comment

Working...
              X