Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the easiest to learn?

Slate call, box call, push/pull?

For the type of call you recommend can you tell me your favorite?

I've been working on the slate, but I'm wondering if there is an easier call for a beginner.

box call for me

Comment

slate

Comment

Originally posted by KZ View Post
        box call for me
        Which model? Is there one that you find easier to use or just any of them?

Comment

Originally posted by awatsonjr View Post
          slate
          Any one in particular?

Comment

I use a slate for the little bit of thunder-chicken huntin I do.

I don't know if they still make it or not, but I use the Primos "Freak".

Comment

Box call is easiest IMO. Just get the pressure down and you're good to go.

Comment

Depending on what sound you are trying to make, some types of call do some sounds better than others.

Primos Box cutter for a box call to yelp and cut.
                Cody Turkey Calls or just about any slate call to purr.
                Mouth calls for high volume and to keep your hands free.

Comment

Slate call was the easiest for me

Comment

I like slate and box calls. I also have a push pull.

I have a glass hammer slate, and another by HS Strut

The box call is an old HS Strut

My push pull is a Primos.

I also have a diaphragm, but I'm really awful with it. It sounds like the poor bird is in big trouble when I try to work it...

The slate, box and push pull are all easy to get good sound out of. The difficult part is knowing what sound to make, and the arrangement. Listen to some good callers, pull up some MP3's off the interweb and practice up a little.
                    Last edited by Gummi Bear; 03-27-2011, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Box call for most people and I recommend Lynch box calls.

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

I've been practicing with a Knight & Hale Hammer slate and it seams like the easiest call to use. I want to try the Primos power crystal and try a few different strikers to see what works best.

I purchased the Primos Chick Magnet yesterday. It's easy to call on, but it's loud and hard for me to get it to produce a variety of calls.

My strategy for now is to use the box call if I'm trying to reach out to some gobblers and lure them in with the slate call. My purrs, puts, and clucks are pretty good with the slate. I guess I won't know how good/bad until I get into the woods.

Comment

I have found that using a slate, or a combination of slates/strikers allows me to create the widest range of sounds at just the right time. I prefer a crystal slate, with a rosewood striker for banging away, and a good hickory striker when i have to be quieter and more meaningful with less motion. IMO the real art is using the strikers in the right combination, and just about any brand of slate will make all the sounds if you work the strikers correctly.

I do not like the box calls because they require too much motion to operate, and I can never set one down without making that errant sound at the wrong time. Reed calls and me just have a bad history, so they are out, and the pus/pull types make only one type of call, and dont have enough call range for me. And i never use the carbon/fiberglass strikers. They sound nothing like a turkey IMO!!
                          Last edited by bowhuntntxn; 03-30-2011, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X