Scope question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope question

I am looking to a scope for my new flat top AR15 and am getting some conflicting info. I am planning on something in the ballpark of a 3x9 or 4x12. Heres the question. I was told by a "PRO" that if I decide on a 50mm instead of 40mm I could run into a parallax problem. Is this true or a load of you know what? I dont think I will be shooting over 200 to 250 yards at most. Thanks in advance.

Do you plan to shoot in low light much? If not you don't really need the 50mm objective.

AR15's have quite a bit of sight to barrel offset so getting the scope as low as possible is desirable. But it depends on what front sight base/gas block you have too on how low you can install a scope.

If you have the regular front sight base then you will need to mount the scope pretty high and then it's a non-issue on what size objective you get. You can get as big as you want then.

For parallax I would suggest getting a scope with adjustable parallax ability.

The Zeiss Conquest series of scopes are excellent for the money and several of them have parallax adjustment as a side focus turret.

I have the 4.5-14x44 with side focus and it's an excellent scope with excellent light gathering.
    Last edited by vortech347; 02-25-2011, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vortech347 View Post
      If you have the regular front sight base then you will need to mount the scope pretty high
      This is not accurate. I recently installed my scope on the AR and I have the normal gasblock/front sight. I thought that It would interfere with my vision through my scope but it does not. Not sure the scientifics of how and why not but I can't see the front sight in the scope nor does it make it blurry or have any negative effect on vision.

(I mounted mine directly to the picatinny rail on my flat top Rock River.)

Not trying to be rude Vortech, just wanted to make sure he has all the information he needs to succeed.

Comment

Paralax is more of an issue with higher power magnification not objective size. Under 12 power there is usually not any paralax issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdickerson5 View Post
          This is not accurate. I recently installed my scope on the AR and I have the normal gasblock/front sight. I thought that It would interfere with my vision through my scope but it does not. Not sure the scientifics of how and why not but I can't see the front sight in the scope nor does it make it blurry or have any negative effect on vision.

(I mounted mine directly to the picatinny rail on my flat top Rock River.)

Not trying to be rude Vortech, just wanted to make sure he has all the information he needs to succeed.
          What power scope did you mount? Cause very low power scopes will absolutely have issues with the front sight base interfering with your view of the target.

That's why it's standard practice to setup co-witness in the lower third of the optic on zero and low magnification setups.

Higher magnifications are not as big of a deal.

You also have to deal with the charging handle unless you install a big latch or some other oversized charging handle latch.

Comment

My acog is 4x and the front sight post does not interfere. It's not the lowest mounting scope but the front block is in front of it. You can only see it with 6+ inches eye relief.

Comment

Originally posted by vortech347 View Post
              What power scope did you mount? Cause very low power scopes will absolutely have issues with the front sight base interfering with your view of the target.

That's why it's standard practice to setup co-witness in the lower third of the optic on zero and low magnification setups.

Higher magnifications are not as big of a deal.

You also have to deal with the charging handle unless you install a big latch or some other oversized charging handle latch.
              This may be true. My scope is 6x18x40. The charge handle is definately a problem, I have to get a extended handle asap...

Comment

Originally posted by Jdickerson5 View Post
                This may be true. My scope is 6x18x40. The charge handle is definately a problem, I have to get a extended handle asap...
                Just get a Big latch. You can buy just the latch or the complete charging handle with it installed.

I need to get one for my 6.8 that has a 1.5-6 power scope. Even that scope sits right over the latch and makes it harder to cycle the weapon by hand.

Comment

Yeah...that part sux for sure!!

Comment

no u wont have a problem with the objective being bigger...a 50mm gives u 10% more field of view and 10% more light over a 40mm...

Comment

I appreciate all the help, I have a front picatinny gas block with no front sight, so that wont matter much. I was looking last night at some Nikons with the side adjust, they are preety dang nice.

Comment

I like the buckmaster line of nikon I think they are great for the money and I would like to get one of those coyote models. Have u seen leupold and nikon came out scopes just for ar-15s?

Comment

Working...
                        X