Am I crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I crazy?

Okay, maybe that is not a technical question. But...anyways... Dad got me a QAD Ultra drop away rest for my birthday yesterday. My initial reation was to wait untill after season to change it, but this morning I am looking at it and thinking I may go ahead and swap it out. I know changing your setup mid season is supposed to be a no-no, especially with no pro shop within 100 miles. I'm no expert at all, but it really doesn't look too hard and I have setup a rest before. I am pretty familiar with the Easton Tuning guide and I have all week during lunch to shoot and adjust.

Go for it or leave it alone?

Any tips from experience?

IMO if you have never done it before, then wait. Take it to a shop after the season, and have them explain, and maybe train you a little on how to do it yourself, adn then next time you will know where to start and what to do if you run into problems.

Comment

if then you shoot alot then it should not matter to much you should be conditioned enough to haddle the change

Comment

I have changed a rest before and done the adjustments so I am not a complete babe in the woods, I just haven't done it on a drop away. The setup on the QAD seems real simple, I really don't think I would have a problem. My bow is not radical either, it is a 2005 Tomkat set for 58#@28". I don't expect any timing issues since it is not super fast or anything. It is a forgiving bow that is setup pretty well anyways. The more I think about it the more I think I am going to go for it. I can also mark my old rest real well and if I have to I could just put it back on and be back in business if I needed to.

Comment

Follow the instructions exactly and you will have no trouble. With your current rest in launch position measure from just above the burger hole to the center of your shaft and record the measurement. Measure again from the shelf to the center of the shaft side. When you set up the QAD for center shot duplicate these measurements. This should put you extremely close. If you use the cable clamp you will not need a press. If later you want the trip line served into the buss cable ( best way ) you can press the bow and separate the buss cable and thread the trip line into it and serve.

Comment

Hey JBS, that is a good tip, that should help alot in minimizing the amount of shoot and adjust I have to do. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
              Hey JBS, that is a good tip, that should help alot in minimizing the amount of shoot and adjust I have to do. I appreciate it.
              Remember to use your thumb to hold the QAD at full rise when you duplicate the measurements. The QAD does not come to full up until the last inch or so of draw, which you will not be doing during centershot setup. If you have one of the upper end units remember to thumb cock it each time.

Comment

I wouldn't do it until after the season unless you have the proper tools to install it. I always serve my rope into the buss cable and then re time my bow..

Comment

Timing the rest is the key. I built a draw board to help me do it, besides I like to tinker with stuff. Here is a link to a great article at www.Huntingnet.com on setting up a QAD (must join the site to view pictures).

Comment

Hey Ranger Link, I used to visit HNI alot untill they started poutting all those ads in there that were such a pain. I am still registered over there though. I tried to follow your link but it didn't go to the thread, at least not for me. I did do a search and came up with a thread by Swampcollie that was real helpful. I guess that is the thread you were talking about, he always did seem to know his stuff. I like his method for serving in the cord with no press, I wasn't real crazy about the little footbal thingy. Let me see if my link to the thread will work, here it is: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tech...away-rest.html

I swapped the rest at lunch, took careful measurements on arrow position and realigned it exactly the same, while ensuring I had the rest at full rise. All of that is set now, all I have to do is time it and serve the cord into the down buss cable and I will be ready for some test shots. BTW, mine is the QAD Ultra LD.

Comment

The verdict is in. I may be crazy, but I am lucky too, and it all worked out great.

I got it all done last night and finished up, then I got to work early so I could shoot some in the shop before everyone showed up. It seemed to be shooting real well, I made a few minor adjustments and called it good untill lunch. At lunch I went home so I could shoot at longer range, I have a round bale in the big lot across the street from our house. I started by shooting FP and broadheads together @ 30, it was dang close. I made a few small rest adjustments and went back to 35. It was putting broadheads and FP right together, all in about a 5" group, and that was with the wind blowing some. I called it good, came back up to 25 to check that sight pin. I decided I was good to go when I shot two arrows and busted a nock with my broadheads. I still have to come back and double check my pins to make sure, but I feel real good about it.

Man, I really like that rest. It feels so much more forgiving than that Hostage that I had on there.

Comment

Originally posted by JBS View Post
                        Follow the instructions exactly and you will have no trouble. With your current rest in launch position measure from just above the burger hole to the center of your shaft and record the measurement. Measure again from the shelf to the center of the shaft side. When you set up the QAD for center shot duplicate these measurements. This should put you extremely close. If you use the cable clamp you will not need a press. If later you want the trip line served into the buss cable ( best way ) you can press the bow and separate the buss cable and thread the trip line into it and serve.
                        2X What he said, and while you are measuring, take other measurements also, like top axel to peep and to string nock, the measurements that you are taking to set up the rest, string length, cable lengths, draw length, arrow length with weight, write the stuff down in a notebook for future reference they will come in handy at a later date

Comment

Glad it worked out for you. And yes that was the thread I was trying to show you. I set mine up like he did and have had good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X